SuSE10.1

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby spottedcat » Wed May 17, 2006 11:06 am

Rhakios wrote:You could always have a go at installing the nvidia driver the old-fashioned way (it's what I do anyway) :)

You're quite right, Rhakios, and this is what I've now done on my experimental desktop setup. Much better font rendering now. For microsoft core fonts, I've installed them on my laptop also the old-fashioned way. I think it's going to take some time for the repositories to get up to speed with 10.1. Packman is still offering an update to K3B without the needed dependencies, and there's a lot of very unhappy bunnies on Suse forums and on the SuSE section of LinuxQuestions. (Ho ho ho. :wink:)

10.1 is running nicely on my laptop now; wireless with the Intel 2200 works even better than in 10.0. It looks good too (Intel 915G graphics), now I've got Gnome back to how it should be. I haven't enabled any extra repositories on the laptop for the time being. I'll wait until the dust settles before fixing the multimedia stuff. And I won't even think of installing 10.1 on my main AMD64 desktop for a good while yet.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri May 19, 2006 7:10 pm

I've updated 4 32bit machines so far, 2 laptops and 2 kiosk machines,no grief, apart from having to reshare a shared printer, and PHProjekt not being carried over (but we're ditching that anyway).... even though one was a 9.2 box.
KDE seems a lot more responsive for some reason, the new wireless tool is great, not risked my main 64 bit machine yet.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby tranceash » Tue May 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Review of OpenSUSE 10.1
http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=6899

Hacking SUSE Linux 10.1 (MUST READ FOR THOSE WHO WANT ALL THE STUFF WORKING)
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/
tranceash

Previous

Return to Announcements