Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware changes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway MS have released their minimum specs for Vista. Lies, Damned Lies and minimum specs. They claim Vista will run on a 800 with 512MB of RAM. Then again they claim XP will run on a 150 or something stupid. They are recommending 1GB of RAM though.

If Symantec have their way we may not see that at all, see http://news.ft.com/cms/s/08252e16-e6c1-11da-a36e-0000779e2340.html

Quote:
someone tried to tell me that bill gates invented the internet the other day.

He certainly didn't but it seems to me MS like to pretend they have re-invented it.

I installed XP for a mate a while back, and had endless problems with activation, had to do it over the phone (he doesn't have the net) and their system couldn't give us a code, and then the Customer Service guy kept giving us codes that didn't work. The whole thing is downright rediculous, and this paranoia of people bringing the company down by ripping things off is what will eventually kill MS.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that fact they have 1 middle manager for every 3 coders. Theres such a huge turnover there of staff with the devs being blamed for everything that they will struggle to get anyone talented to work for them. Given a choice between working for IBM or Sun and Microsoft who do you pick knowing that every bad middle management decision will be blamed on you at MS.

The thing that will kill MS in the end IMHO is a push towards open standards. With governments falling into the ODF line left, right and center then there are 2 posibilities for MS.

1. They refuse to accept ODF in which case there will be a reduced usage of MSO with those that do using the plugin to get ODF.

2. They support ODF in which case its a simple matter to switch from one program to another. The main reason people use MSO is that files are .doc .xls etc. When this goes more people will use something else.
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon MS do still have a few years in them but when OEM`s start shipping with Linux there market share will probably fall quite a lot
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello wrote:
I reckon MS do still have a few years in them but when OEM`s start shipping with Linux there market share will probably fall quite a lot

That's why MS puts pressure on OEMs only to ship PCs preloaded with Windows.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I remember reading somewhere about their contracts forbidding the OEMs from shipping with Realplayer and the like, let alone a non MS OS Wink The way the contracts are likely to work out in future is the only OEMs that will ship with Linux will be the OEMs not shipping Windows. With any luck though MS will get called on these tactics again, or the OEMs will revolt against them Very Happy
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the whole OEM license the other day. Would it not be possible to split a small section off say Dell and have them release Linux PC's as a totally different company. Thereby the OEM license is not broken. Anyway if the worlds largest PC manufacturer says we're going to ship Linux can MS really afford to tell them you can't have cheap Windows then. If Dell start selling Windows PC's with non-OEM licenses then their prices are going to go up while the hardy Linux box with security and stuff becomes really cheap and function complete (they could even go as far as shipping Debian and doing their own support.)

Dell have a big reputation and even if a conflict with MS would harm them it would likely do as much damage to MS. This way the M.A.D. means that they could get away with pretty much whatever they want on a small scale and by the time it gets big...

I think MS will still make a big profit on this OS. I think it could be the one that signals the begining of the end though. Whether the switch will be to Linux, Mac or another is still in debate though.

To be honest I'm actually glad Apple have started shipping on x86. My next machine (admittedly a long way off) might be an Apple just to make a statement of intent. I could always put Linux on it later and then it would be indistinguishable from a normal x86.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the beginning of the end started with XP, but thats just my opinion I guess. The thought occurred to me as well that technically Dell (or others) stand to gain quite a lot from selling with Linux preloaded. Lets say that with the windows boxes the box goes for 300 quid and windows is 59 on top of that, making the sale price 359. Take the same box at 300 and whack linux on, depending on which distro they use this could be free. However they could bump the price of the box up by up to 20 quid and people would probably not notice. The price increase would be on the box not the software so no GPL violation there, although IANAL.

The best way is and always has been to build your own Very Happy
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on the "activation" issue. Wouldn't there be a registry key somewhere that stores that. Maybe if you export the various branches to seperate files you might be able to replace or restore that record in the new build. Not the easiest way to go about things i know, but a possible option if everything else turns out to be stacked against you.

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember some time last year reading that Dell had a Linux option that was more expensive than the same-specification Windows PC Rolling Eyes
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPL doesn't stop you charging for the software.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMorgan wrote:
To be honest I'm actually glad Apple have started shipping on x86. My next machine (admittedly a long way off) might be an Apple just to make a statement of intent. I could always put Linux on it later and then it would be indistinguishable from a normal x86.

Some of us run Linux on PPC Apple hardware. It's not indistinguishable from x86 hardware though, the much longer battery life is a dead giveaway Smile
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreiciate that you can run Linux on PPC machines I think its fair to say the majority of distributions have a x86 option while a lot won't have PPC options. Just a matter of practicality.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandriva, Gentoo, (K)Ubuntu and SUSE all have PPC options. We've moved on from the situation of a couple of years ago when the choices were Yellow Dog or Yellow Dog.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time UK are selling a box with Linux preinstalled, XP home costs 40 extra.

TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Time UK are selling a box with Linux preinstalled, XP home costs 40 extra.

Do you have a URL? I can't find them via Google, and doing the middle click thing brings up the time in the UK Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: