Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TimeUk selling Linspire boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

Don't know if this is old news but....
Just seen an advert in a weekly pc mag, for TimeUK, selling a decent spec PC with a note that says "Windows OS 40 extra, Linspire installed as standard"

http://pcs.timeuk.com/computers/bargain_computers/17380

GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: RE: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

I'm glad that it specifically advertises XP as 40 more expensive.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: RE: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know whether PC bargain-hunters understand the difference between Linspire and XP, or whether they'll just think that the base model has no OS installed.

BTW, you may not want to click on the more expensive deals - they all appear to include XP, and the link fires off to www.google-analytics.com, which suggests to me that somebody else is interested, too. You might not want them to see too many hits on the XP options. Wink

I'm a bit disappointed that Linspire users are not offered any bundled deals. Still, give it - er, time? (Boom! boom!)

And 39 for a "system re-load disc" CD is a rip-off!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: RE: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

This is great news, apart from the bits that say TimeUK and Linspire Wink
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
This is great news, apart from the bits that say TimeUK and Linspire Wink

If you look at the small print, the advert says something about not all hardware is guaranteed to work under Linux!

Yet it would be so easy to create a PC on which all Hardware worked under Linux. I would be happy with "All Hardware Tested Under Linux (maybe a brand & edition number)".

I have to say that if this were someone other than Time, it would be good. Their hardware and after-sales has not been the best, I won't say what I really think as I don't want to be sued and neither does this site.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TimeUk selling Linspire boxes Reply with quote

Couldn't find the bit about not all hardware guaranteed to work under Linux, but if you go to full specifications, you'll see:

Quote:
Operating System - Linspire 5.0 Linux OS

and

Quote:
Tiny Computer - - ProcessorModem - 56k V.9x Modem (not supported by Linspire 5.0 Linux OS)

They've fitted a winmodem to a Linux only machine. Pillocks! (IMHO)

More to the point - how do I get to stop google-analytics from wasting my bandwidth when I visit that and similar sites?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: