SuSE10.1

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby spottedcat » Sun May 14, 2006 8:42 am

Yes, I thought it might just be a matter of waiting a bit.

nordle, I'm baffled by your mention of trying 'system:/'. I feel I might be missing something painfully obvious here. (:oops: - in case I'm being completely dense) I've looked in Yast > System and in the Applications > System menu but can't find anything relevant. It looks vaguely konqueror-ish, but putting 'system:/' in the location bar merely gives me icons to various places. But the fact that it hasn't automatically mounted all my partitions is a minus point compared to Ubuntu Dapper Beta - that was very impressive.

And nordle, you're right about Gnome being 2.12. I was surprised. Didn't like the new layout either. I know this is as a result of some user tests, but this user prefers the old layout. Soon had it back to the way it should be. :)

Sorry guys. Sounds as though I'm moaning here. I'm not. So far I'm more impressed than otherwise.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 14, 2006 12:35 pm

Of course, if the drives aren't listed in /etc/fstab then they're not going to be mounted, automagically or not. I assume you've checked this?
Mind you, I 'm one of those who is against automatically mounting every file system on a computer, but that shouldn't stop them being listed in fstab (with the noauto option).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby spottedcat » Sun May 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Rhakios wrote:Of course, if the drives aren't listed in /etc/fstab then they're not going to be mounted, automagically or not.

True. They're not listed - of course not. But that wasn't quite the point I was making. In Gentoo or Fedora I have to edit fstab myself - that's fine. But when I installed SuSE 10.0 as a dual-boot with Windows, it wrote the entry to fstab itself, mounting hda1 as ntfs. 10.1 didn't - which I find odd. And particularly odd considering that 10.1 creates a /boot/grub/menu.lst with (working) entries for all the other flavours of Linux on a multiboot.

But I understand what you're saying about automatically mounting everything. Have you tried Mepis? That automounts everything in sight - partitions, the fridge, the cat, my chair - and rewrites fstab on every reboot. That's a bit of a bummer when you've put your own special line in fstab. It gets nuked on the next reboot. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 14, 2006 1:36 pm

No, I haven't tried Mepis, but it wouldn't be an issue nowadays. All my machines are single boot, VMWare and Parallels take care of my interest in other operating systems.

Adding foreign file systems to fstab seems to be one of those things that gets done sometimes and it's rarely clear whether it's just a glitch when it doesn't happen, a result of the path you take through the installer, or policy.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Sun May 14, 2006 2:56 pm

spottedcat wrote:nordle, I'm baffled by your mention of trying 'system:/'. I feel I might be missing something painfully obvious here.

oops, that was me being a little short on details. And assuming KDE use, sorry.
In KDE you have the My Comuter icon on the dektop, which if you type system:/ into konquerors url bar it lists, amongst other things, all the partitions on your machine, then its just a case of clicking on one to mount it, very easy for copying files all over the shop etc.

spottedcat wrote:But the fact that it hasn't automatically mounted all my partitions is a minus point compared to Ubuntu Dapper Beta - that was very impressive.

This (dapper) is the first dsitro where I actually like using gnome, I might have switched if it wasn't for nautilus being too limited for my usage.
+ Amarok, K3b, kaffeine, kontact being QT and requiring most of the KDE libs to start anyway.

Theres a link to a review here http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14593

Oddly it sais "This release also comes with great new applications such as Xgl, Xen and AppArmor"
Which is funny because I'm sure 10.0 had Xen and App Armor too :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 14, 2006 3:46 pm

Sounds like a newbie review ;)

Of course, one difference is that AppArmo[u]r is switched on by default now, whereas with 10.0 it was up to the administrator to switch it on and configure it properly.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby spottedcat » Sun May 14, 2006 4:12 pm

nordle wrote:In KDE you have the My Comuter icon on the dektop, which if you type system:/ into konquerors url bar it lists, amongst other things, all the partitions on your machine, then its just a case of clicking on one to mount it,

As I said, I did type 'system:/' into the location bar of konqueror, but in Gnome. No partitions showed. Must be a KDE thing. You'll convert me to KDE yet, nordle. :D

I hope they do provide (easily installed) nvidia drivers soon because there's a cursor bug in firefox, but only (as far as I've discovered) with nvidia cards and the OSS 'nv' driver. I first saw it in Ubuntu Dapper - but it was cured by installing the proprietary driver. Ditto for Fedora. It makes correcting typos in a post a real pain. Of course, I could do what 1sf (troll) does and post drivel. :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 14, 2006 6:53 pm

You could always have a go at installing the nvidia driver the old-fashioned way (it's what I do anyway) :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby spottedcat » Mon May 15, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm posting this from SuSE 10.1 freshly installed on my Sony Viao laptop, to report a couple of encouraging things, a couple of mysteries (probably) solved, and one cautionary tale for those with laptops like this with a weird hidden partition.

First the good news. Remember the irritating touchpad problem in SuSE 10.0, Rhakios? It's not there in 10.1. :) And I didn't hold my breath either. Thanks for all you help with that. And another irritation that's disappeared is the false battery monitor alarms in 10.0. Never did get to the bottom of that.

nordle, - this system:/ business. I've found something odd. I've added kde to my experimental desktop installation. Konqueror showed 'sysinfo:/' in the location bar and there were all my partitions ready to be clicked on and rummaged around in. But I didn't have to wait 'ages'. They were there <Tommy_Cooper_Voice> just like that! </Tommy_Cooper_Voice>. When I did 'system:/', the same icons appeared as had in gnome, but now 'Storage Media' showed all my partitions. As they did now in gnome. KDE must have done something.

Rhakios, automounting the ntfs partition - I think I've found out why it didn't. Before, with 10.0 and setting up a dual boot with Windows, I pointed the installer at unformatted space and let it get on with it. This time, with partitions already prepared, I went for the so-called 'expert' (moi??! :shock:) option. With my laptop install I noticed what I hadn't first time - an opportunity to define fstab options for each partition. That explains it. Very neat.

And now for the cautionary note. The laptop install went fine until the time for a reboot when it booted back into Windows, having apparently repaired the Windows bootloader. (Considerate of it.) Fortunately I had
  1. kept the 10.0 installation intact
  2. already made a bootable CD

so I soon had it booting into SuSE 10.1 and carrying on as though nothing had happened. Interestingly the new /boot and /boot/grub had everything they should - it only seemed to have erred with writing the mbr.

hda1 is a hidden ntfs recovery partition, and Windows is on hda2. This seems to confuse Linux partition managers. Gparted in Ubuntu Dapper Beta live fails to make anything of the whole hard disk. I guess this is the problem. Beware therefore if you have a Sony Vaio or a hidden partition 1. But, interestingly, this was not an issue with 10.0
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Bit of a mixed bag so far with 10.1. On VMWare, zenworks update works fine, on my laptop it doesn't :?

Perhaps it will decide to work next time I boot it ;)

One more system to install it on, but I'm happy still using 10.0 on my 64-bit box - KDE3.5.2 and all that.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Steogede » Tue May 16, 2006 7:52 am

After having installed it yesterday, it seems there are a lot of significant changes in 10.1

No more YOU for a start, anyone had a proper chance to play with rug yet? What I have seen so far, I am liking.

Adding users during the install it had the usual choices of local/ndis/ldap + Windows domain, it seems they have made a number of other subtle but significant changes.

Had a bit of trouble getting my desktop machine's wifi card working. It's an RT2500 which worked fine in 10 but SUSE removed the driver from 10.1 due to stability issues with the kernel they're using. Despite the trouble I had installing it, I am glad that SUSE erred on the side of caution.
Steogede
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Steogede wrote:After having installed it yesterday, it seems there are a lot of significant changes in 10.1

No more YOU for a start, anyone had a proper chance to play with rug yet? What I have seen so far, I am liking.

Indeed, they've completely changed the package management system, which actually came in only in beta3 (IIRC). I'm still not entirely sure about it. For instance, some updates show up in the Zenworks updater, but not in the one inside YaST and vice versa.
I'm sure it will all pan out in the end though.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Tue May 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Steogede wrote:After having installed it yesterday, it seems there are a lot of significant changes in 10.1

Indeed, they've completely changed the package management system, which actually came in only in beta3 (IIRC). I'm still not entirely sure about it. For instance, some updates show up in the Zenworks updater, but not in the one inside YaST and vice versa.
I'm sure it will all pan out in the end though.

Is that problem still in 10.1 GM? Would have thought (hoped) they'd sorted that out, did you do a new install or upgrade?

What was wrong with the old method, seemed ok to me (what little I used it).
Also, I wish that the apps that required root logon didn't use root settings, ie font size etc. OK its easy enough to sync them, but thats one advantage of sudo, its seemless and the environment keeps the settings of the user. (although if it were a business environment, it would scare the crap out of me :) )
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 pm

This was the new install on my laptop of the full 10.1 GM version. For some reason I do not see the same problem on my VMWare install from the same media :?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby marco » Wed May 17, 2006 7:22 am

I downloaded SUSE 10.1 two days ago and I'm disappointed:

SUSE is the ONLY distro which doesn't set up my monitor correctly (FUS C15-2).

Since version 9 I always get an "Out of Frequency" warning on my screen after the first login and I have to manually edit the xorg config file. It is really annoying, especially because every other distro sets up my monitor without any problems.

I already logged a support call a few months ago and got the reply that they will fix it with version 10.1, well - apparently not.

I will continue to use Ubuntu and Gentoo then...
marco
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements