Save 5p on petrol

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Save 5p on petrol

Postby coolclassic » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 am

I've just registered on the following site for discounts on petrol:

http://www.pipelinecard.org/default.html

you've nothing to lose
The world is your playground why don't you play.
coolclassic
LXF regular

RE: Save 5p on petrol

Postby pins » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:59 pm

'cept your lungs
isn't this spam?
pins
LXF regular

Postby coolclassic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Spam-To send identical and irrelevant postings to many different newsgroups or mailing lists. Usually this posting is something that has nothing to do with the particular topic of a newsgroup or of no real interest to the person on the mailing list.

irrelevant postings- May be usefull to many using forum

nothing to do with the particular topic- This is off topic

As I deemed this info very usefull to many using this forum and that there is no financil gain what so ever apart from to them self I don't consider this as spam.

How many have actually registered?
coolclassic
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:50 pm

Aye but have they actually got an agreement yet? I think not!
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby coolclassic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Latest newletter......

Dear Pipeline Card Member,

Pipeline Card has been going since November and some of you are clearly getting fed up - and not just with the continual fuel price rises.

Emails are coming in every day saying "When are the cards coming?" "How many members do you need now? and "Why the delay"? Well guess what - we're frustrated too!

Nothing like this has ever been done in the UK before - it's not going to happen overnight. The petrol discount scheme they set up in Holland took around 18 months to get off the ground. I can certainly tell you that we all want this to work as much as you do - we have spent a lot of time and effort on it. There is a big gap between an agreement in principle and a finalised contract - but we are gradually overcoming some of the difficulties and we are getting closer.

I would like to be able to give you much more information but, unfortunately, we are bound by a non-disclosure agreement that carries a hefty financial penalty. So I can't even tell you who we are negotiating with. All I can say for now is that we are making progress, we are still hopeful of an announcement in the next couple of months, and we still need your support.

It is just possible that we will need to consider a different way of achieving our goal but the good news is that we have already been approached by another organisation who is interested in working with us.

There is other good news too. Thousands of our members have saved money on domestic heating oil this month and others have saved money on gas and electricity by using our price comparison service. It's not our main purpose, but it is a way of giving something back while our negotiations continue.

Over 9,000 blogs and websites are linking to us and our media support is still growing. So please keep telling people about us.

Rest assured; we are not going to lose sight of what Pipeline Card is all about. It's about all of us paying less for our petrol and diesel. We are definitely not going to do any deals with marketeers and spam merchants; and we are not going to give up.

That's it for now. Watch out for us on Fifth Gear - the Channel 5 motoring show - at the beginning of next month.

Don't forget that you can recommend Pipeline by clicking here http://www.PipelineCard.org/recommend.html and you can resign as a member at any time by sending a blank email to unsubscribe@PipelineCard.org.

Best wishes

Ben Scammell - Pipeline Card Founder
coolclassic
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Well I've signed up, always worth a gamble especially as it doesnt cost anything ;) that Ben guy seems to be a bit of a ritch b*tch though. Given the current price of petrol its always worth trying, not to mention the fact that if (for example) BP sign up to it, then Shell, Esso et al may price their petrol more competitively. Main problem is that a large portion of the cost is still due to the government and their wonderful taxes. If you look at most other countries in the world they have either road tax or high petrol/Diesel tax. We have both. And petrol tax costs you much more in that you need to top up regularly, at least road tax (whilst fairly sizeable) is an annual payment (assuming you havent gone for the more expensive 6 month option)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Re: Save 5p on petrol

Postby jhooks » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:17 pm

coolclassic wrote:I've just registered on the following site for discounts on petrol:

http://www.pipelinecard.org/default.html

you've nothing to lose

Sounds more like a pipedream card to me. Perhaps I'm a little bit simple, but I really don't understand the economics behind it. I have to say that the guy has an interesting name, I thought it was Scamwell at first.

shifty_ben wrote:If you look at most other countries in the world they have either road tax or high petrol/Diesel tax. We have both. And petrol tax costs you much more in that you need to top up regularly, at least road tax (whilst fairly sizeable) is an annual payment (assuming you havent gone for the more expensive 6 month option)

Fuel duty might be more expensive than vehicle excise duty, in terms of how much tax you pay. However, as a means of collecting revenue, I believe provides much better value for money for the tax man (i.e. you are taxed less to generate the same net revenue) and certainly much better value for money than toll/congestion charging systems (which are wasteful of both human and environmental resources).

One big upside of the increase in fossil fuel charges is that biofuel should now be cheaper as a consequence, so long as Mr Brown doesn't choose to withdraw his concessions. This article from 2004 reckons that biodiesel costs 4p a litre more at the pump than regular diesel. Given the increase in diesel prices since 2004 it should be a viable option now.
jhooks

RE: Re: Save 5p on petrol

Postby CJLL » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 pm

I'd be very weary of a guy who has three known addresses in Reading, Guilsborough and Hearne Bay, and who does not publish his company number/registered address.
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby coolclassic » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:42 pm

For a organisation that has seen coverage in the national press and tv it is unlikely that this is a spoof.
coolclassic
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:48 pm

coolclassic wrote:For a organisation that has seen coverage in the national press and tv it is unlikely that this is a spoof.

You belive everything the media tells you do you? If so I've got a bridge you can buy.

Try reading a few of the articles and then summerise exactly what you know about Ben Scammell and his wonderful Pipeline Cards. Very little is the answer.
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:49 pm

Well, one person I *do* believe is Martin Lewis from moneysavingexpert.com. He's all for this card, and he does tend to check these things out quite thoroughly. The only way I've found to save money on petrol so far though is not to use so much of it...
I'm not a spammer - honest!
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:06 pm

The thing is the cards are free, so theres very little they can scam off you. OK so they could sell your details but a dedicated spam email account and the mail preference service takes care of that ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 am

crispibits wrote:Well, one person I *do* believe is Martin Lewis from moneysavingexpert.com. He's all for this card, and he does tend to check these things out quite thoroughly. The only way I've found to save money on petrol so far though is not to use so much of it...

This is what they had to say about it:

Once it’s up and running, I will re-evaluate it to see if it's worth it.

Of course, scepticism with something new like this is important.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:38 am

shifty_ben wrote:The thing is the cards are free, so theres very little they can scam off you. OK so they could sell your details but a dedicated spam email account and the mail preference service takes care of that ;)

Really? Free? Would you like to buy bridge too?

Where exactly is Mr Scamell going to obtain 350,000 personalised membership cards, a data processing system for 350,000 members and the customer service and accounting departments to look after them for free?
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:58 am

Really? Free? Would you like to buy bridge too?

Where exactly is Mr Scamell going to obtain 350,000 personalised membership cards, a data processing system for 350,000 members and the customer service and accounting departments to look after them for free?

Well presumably either from his own pocket (very unlikely) or through a contract with whatever Petrol company he is trying to get to sign on. In fact it could even be based on advertising revenues. For all I care he could be printing the money off on his mothers computer ;)
I do not doubt there may well be a catch somewhere, they may even charge for membership in the future, but given that both the cards and membership is currently free, the point I was trying to make is what is he trying to scam out of us? Like i said all he can do is sell your personal details (Although he does have a privacy policy, that doesnt gaurantee he will follow it). If he sells my details, then it will mean a couple of extra spam emails coming into my deedicated spam account. Any post sent to me won't get through because of the mail preference service.

So what does he gain in this scam?
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic