should paying subscribers put up with pop-ups & ads from

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

should paying subscribers put up with pop-ups & ads from

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:19 pm

"Not Happy Jan" how bout ad/pop-up free website for paying loyalists?
dodgiebros

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:02 pm

how about using adblocker and popups disabled and the bare basic theme ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:31 pm

hey towy, how for thow do this? Can i do all this within FireFox? How do i stop 'macromedia flash player' ads? I've used the 'block images from...' but what about the rest? And my original Question? LXF mag is my only read for Linux down here in Oz and costs lots a $ compared to US/Euro mate........... PS I am very slowly learning Linux, although I still dual boot with the other OS, Linux is my default boot OS now.
dodgiebros

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:56 pm

tis in the tools>extensions and add flashblock and the popups are blocked in the Edit>Preferences
and the theme for LXF website is in the My Account in the Main Menu and is called ExtraLite

you'll soon only use Windblows for playing games ;-)
towy71

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:58 pm

In Firefox you need to install the Adblock, and Flashblock extensions, which will allow you to block images and flash animations respectively. To change the theme click "My Account" on the left hand panel in Forums, then choose "Select Theme".
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Thanks towy & MB, have done as you've suggested and suceeded. It's amazing how many sites use flash ads. I'd still like to hear from LXF about there advert contracts?......... cheers from down under.
dodgiebros

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:49 pm

LXF are just a small part of a giant uncaring corporation who determine what advertising goes on the sites that their most insignificant people are graciously allowed to run!
;-)
towy71

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:04 pm

It's a damn shame...... I'm totaly sick of 'big brother' corperations ruling this world. Especially the Yank (Sepo - Septic tank) capitalists that buy our local businesses and send the manufacturing overseas to 3rd world countries and rip us all off........... Sorry........ I'm sure if Australia had a viable Linux enterprise, they would shaft them too. "NOT HAPPY JAN". I bet those Sepo's have their hand in on LXF too. Am I too paranoid? Is this way off the subject? Where does Linux stand in Australia?
dodgiebros

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Now now folks. It's Friday, so everyone have fun, go out and buy Tetris DS, and relax! :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:02 pm

I'm going to bed now. It's 3:40 am Saturday down here. I'm going to the local drag strip tonight for a bit of old fashioned V8 tyre smoking action and maybe see some computerised (running on Linux of course) super quadro turbo, 68 valve, 25 000 rpm, 1500hp, 2 litre buzz box blow up on the start line. I don't care how flash your (too fast, too furious)piece of plastic on wheels is, I know my old V8 1973 HQ Holden sounds beautiful. I turn my 500 multimegawatt doofa sound system off when I'm driving this old beast :-)
dodgiebros

Postby M0PHP » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:13 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Now now folks. It's Friday, so everyone have fun, go out and buy Tetris DS, and relax! :-)

M

But what is your view on the ads?
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:00 pm

They are annoying but they have to make money somehow. Advertising currently rises quite a bit of revenue so its no surprise Future have gone in for it as well
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:54 am

M0PHP wrote:But what is your view on the ads?

I know they're not popular, but they're needed to keep developing the site. Those of you who were around in April 2005, when this site was relaunched, will have seen how much it's grown since then -- newsletters, blogging, a wiki, archives, interviews, more regular news and busier forums.

It's my job to add these new features and run the site day-to-day, and the money has to come from somewhere. (Oh, and then there's the bandwidth, especially when we get Slashdotted every few months :-)) As much as I love the community around this site, some things take a fair bit of work and time to implement, so ads are a necessity.

The alternative would be to have an ad-less static page with just the 'Latest issue' box on -- no forums, no archives, no 'sub-sites' or anything else. So I hope it's worth having a few ads! Especially with a couple of things we have lined up...

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:06 am

no forums,

noooooooooooooooooooooo, keep the ads ;) Besides there has been the odd occassion when one or two have been worth clicking, if only for a laugh. I remember following one and coming across a site that discussed the possibility of speakers being placed inside silicon implants :D Ridiculous but a good laugh.

As long as we don't get any shoot the duck, or spank the monkey ads I'm happy
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm not aware of having to pay anything to view and use this web site. I don't even have to buy or subscribe to the magazine. If advertising revenue can support this extra service and pay for Mike's time maintaining and enhancing the site, then I think it's well worthwhile.
But, I will always block pop-ups as they are far too intrusive. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to This Website