Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandriva LE 2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debushee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Mandriva LE 2005 Reply with quote

I have a laptop with XP on it that I want to dual boot with Mandriva LE 2005.
I followed the install instructions and have now a dual boot system. However when booting Mandriva the splash screen appears and then I get a black screen with a mandriva logo and what looks like a terminal screen prompting me for my username and password. Being new to Linux I don't know if this is normal but I would assume it to start with a pretty desktop. Any ideas what might have gone wrong in the install?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: RE: Mandriva LE 2005 Reply with quote

It sounds like you have not configured your graphics card. The Mandriva installer seems to miss doing this automatically sometimes, which is why the instructions in the magazine specifically mention checking this.

You can run the configuration tool from the command line after logging in as root. I can't remember the exact name, but type xf followed by tab, or maybe it's XF followed by tab, so find it. Once you have set up your graphics, it should boot into the desktop next time.
debushee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva LE 2005 Reply with quote

Thanks. Its working now.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva LE 2005 Reply with quote

Now you know why we put those instruction thingies in the magazine Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: