help creating linux ftp server please...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

help creating linux ftp server please...

Postby activedaemon » Mon May 16, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi!
I'm currently tryin to make an ftp server in linux to share stuff with other people through the net, it will have bout 500GB and would like to know how to "build" it and witch distro is best for this kind of action. I was thinking maybe of vector linux or maybe slackware. please send it to my email at:

activedaemon@gmail.com

thnx!

Please join my group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux_dot3/
:?:
activedaemon

RE: help creating linux ftp server please...

Postby nelz » Tue May 17, 2005 7:25 am

Any distro would be suitable for this. Most of them come with a choice of FTP servers. ProFTPd and vsftpd are popular choices.

As you asked on the forum, that is where I replied, to leave the thread publically accessible. If you register an account on this site, you'll get an email whenever anyone responds to your posts.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Thnx a lot

Postby activedaemon » Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 pm

thanx for the reply, if you also know any programs that would help me administer or settings to get better profit of my ftp network please be my guest!

thanx again! 8)
activedaemon

RE: Thnx a lot

Postby nwirth » Tue May 17, 2005 9:29 pm

I'd use webmin for remotely administering ftp. I don't think it's anything wrong about vsftpd, but I used ProFTPd before and I got it fairly well configured in a short period of time. And I'd use Debian for this - mainly because it's solid and easy to maintain. Important questions you will have to know the answer to are:
- do you allow anonymous ftp or user / passwd login? do you need sftp, maybe?
- do you allow uploads?
nwirth

Return to Help!