Extend network and USB hard drive

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Extend network and USB hard drive

Postby chimp » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Hi,

I have two noob questions that I'm sure will be trivial for all you guru's out there.

1) I have a 2 PC wired network in which both machines are connected to a 4 port router which then connects to my cable modem. This is working fine but I am now looking to extend the network upstairs to add a couple more machines. Rather than cable each machine through to the router, how can I make the network more future proof? I guess I need a switch for updatirs which I can plug all the machines on that level into and then hook the switch up to the router downstairs. Is this a valid configuration and are there any gotcha's I need to look out for?

2) My router has a USB port for a printer. Is there any reason why this cannot be used for a USB hard drive instead to provide a shared drive for all machines on the network?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
chimp

RE: Extend network and USB hard drive

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Ok in terms of extending the network, you are right, to make it "future proof" you should use a switch. Tho the way I did it as I was pulling floorboards up anyway is to cable into every room, and only put sockets in the ones I need for now, all the cables lead back to the router, and if I ever need to a switch will be installed there. Not much use if I decide to move the router I guess but as its by the phone socket shouldn't happen.
In terms of the USB, I have seen routers with support for USB hard drives AND Printers, its possible yours may be capable of that, best way is to test. If it isn't then assuming you definitely want to go that route, then assuming your router is linux based (Which every one Ive owned is/was) then you could build your own kernel for it, there are plenty of guides on how to do such things online, though from experience I would say it can be a pain as for me at least there is always some functionality you forget. From that point of view it may be easier to attach it to one of the clients, or even if you want it that badly, build your own PC from scratch, looking for low power consumption etc, and put it in a cupboard somewhere :D

Hope this helps, and apologies for any typos, Ive been at the pub with soem old school friends

Ben
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby chimp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:57 am

Cheers Ben
chimp

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 am

No problem, just reread my post, and can only see one typo, thats not bad :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:21 pm

I can see three :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Rhakios, you obviously have too much time on your hands. Shouldn't you elsewhere berating 1sf (troll)?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:03 pm

I can see three :D

Ive found a second but wheres the third???
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Typos?
1: Tho, instead of though, or tho' (unless of course you are a fan of Reformed Spelling, in which case I'll let you off.).
2: Ive instead of I've.
3: soem instead of some.

Not that it matters, but you did insist on making a point of it. I'd have kept quiet ;)

towy71 wrote:Shouldn't you elsewhere berating 1sf (troll)?

I have already done a little of this tonight thanks, as have you I notice. I am inclined to wonder just who has too much time on their hands :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:24 pm

Ah it was the Ive that slipped past me, you really must have too much time on your hands to spot that ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:01 pm

It took me longer to make the reply than to count the typos. You might have noticed yourself that it is often easier to spot mistakes in other people's writing than your own, presumably because one does not have memory and expectation to gloss over the mistakes of others.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:02 pm

True, would have taken twice as long, can't go posting corrections if there are spelling mistakes in the correction post :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Return to Hardware