Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reckon this infringes any trademarks?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

During some fairly bored browsing, I stumbled across this

http://www.1001cocktails.com/recipes/cocktails/recipe_cocktail.php?recette_cocktail=104887&recipe=linux+cocktail

looks quite nice, but as it uses Linux in its name surely that would technically be a trademark infringement? Very Happy

hmmm may have to make it later
CJLL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

Not a fan of cocktails, give me a 12 year old single malt any day
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

You'd need to ask Torvalds - doesn't he own the trademark? Wink
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

TBH Id rather have The Clynelish, a 14 year old highland. Tho the speysides are nice Very Happy
CJLL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

<my dad is bigger than your dad>
now if you were to have a bottle of this http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/products/prod109a.htm then I'd be seriously impressed Smile
</my dad is bigger than your dad>
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

<my dad is FAR bigger than your dad>
Nice, but I work in an offlicense, and have seen a 35 year old malt advertised in a regular magazine we receive. Nice as it looks I dont think I could justify spending that amount of money!
</my dad is FAR bigger than your dad>
note: this is not flamebait or any sort of flamewar, just a post by someone who probably drinks far too much :S
Incidentally its good to see someone who recognises a good whisky, I get far too many people buying glenmorangie for my taste
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah! You're a bunch of lightweights! Wink

Try some of this when it's finished distilling Shocked
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islay single malt is the way to go, that smokey peaty tang is just so grand. Me old ma likes Ardbeg!
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like a bit of Talisker every now and then. The whisky in that link looks rather interesting Very Happy bit beyond the capabilities of my wallett and my liver!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
Islay single malt is the way to go, that smokey peaty tang is just so grand. Me old ma likes Ardbeg!

Hmm, how do they manage that? Are the still porous so that the smoke gets into the brew, or do they just chuck a handful of peat in afterwards?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want the proffessional answer? or the sarcastic one? Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try both Smile
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Reckon this infringes any trademarks? Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
I get far too many people buying glenmorangie for my taste

I dont have too much time for glenmorangie, except for gelnmorangie madeira which I luv. I find it takes something very special, and very expensive, to beat that.

I occasionally have glenfiddich, but mainly because its the most bearable of the _cheap_ stuff.

Favourite so far is glen turret, 12yrs, haven't seen it around here at all though. Considering it was just a 12, it was spot on for me.

Maybe we should for an AUG instead of a LUG Smile
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: A lesson in Whisky! Reply with quote

LOL sounds good Very Happy Ok the reason for the peatiness (is that a word?) is not actually all that interesting, speyside whiskies are made from a lightly peated malt, whilst Islay malt grows in large amounts of peat, it does not actually come in contact with peat at any point (apart from when it is germinating for the pedants out there) and so will taste more sort of salty and seaweedy (probably also due to the salty air in which it usually is found) . Highland malts tend to pick and choose from those two differences, hence the question about sarky comments (which ive forgotten now, but I seem to remember it being about glenmorangie containing a large amount of peat Very Happy )
Peaty whisky's (speyside) taste more smokey, whilst islay and some highland malts, will taste more salty. Jura for example is a highland malt but is leans more towards being like a islay than a speyside. In case you are wondering why they differentiate between highland and the others it is because the flavours are often less pronounced, and of course where the malt is grown. There are actually lowland malts available, but going by the ones I have seen they are very expensive, and only for people with very large walletts!

OK lesson in whisky over, its put me in the mood for a nice galss of Talisker

PS this is just my opinion, but if you want your Whisky Chilled, DONT use ice cubes, they impair the flavour, get some of the plastic coated ice cubes isntead so it doesnt get watered down Very Happy

[edit] Nordle I will look into glen turet at work, we may be able to get it in, depending on where you are this could be useless to you, but very good for me Very Happy although having said that if I can get it in, i may be able to direct you to somewhere near you that can Wink
Glen Fiddich isn't bad, you are right in saying its the most bearable of the cheap stuff, try some L'aphroig (can't remember how to spell it :S ) instead, it tastes much better and is within a few quid of glenfiddich.
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: RE: A lesson in Whisky! Reply with quote

I'm supprised no one has mentioned my personal favorite, Johnny Walker. I had a bottle of blue label once... ok so it was a miniture bottle but damn nice while it lasted Smile Unfortunately I stopped drinking whiskey alltogether when I found myself 'accidentally' getting through half a bottle a night Shocked Which is very silly and rather expensive Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: