A Beginner to Programming: Where should I start

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:37 am

i think you'll find i am the compile-meister 8)
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby jjmac » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:29 pm

Howdy

comcamel wrote:
>>
I would like to get advice for a starting point such as visual basic or something like that, or a book i should et. As i will have to wait till alevel to get started, but i cannot be assed doing it then.
>>

I think you lost me there :)

The QuickBasic is a good idea and i do believe there is a Linux port. Where would be up to "google". QuickBasic may well be on one of your Windows OSes, if you have any of them lieing around. Bill provided it for free, but you would have to look over the install disc to find it. Really good to, basic has excellent string handling and math capabilities, except for "atan" (grin). But that can be worked around.

VB creates bad habits imo. It doesn't separate the assignment and equality logic in their symbols, ie, they use "=" for both :roll:. And the use a data type called a variant, which basically can become anything, depending on the context in which it's used. That caused me no end of trouble porting some VB stuff into Java once, heaps of errors that were sourced to rounding errors associated with floats and doubles as were used in the java translation.

Having some purpose will clinch it though. Some special interest to provide the inspiration. When ever a person finds themselves doing purposeless coding, it really is time for a looong rest (grin).

A really good on line down loadable html set i came across was by a bloke called Bruce Eckel, "Thinking in Java" and "Thinking in C++"

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: A Beginner to Programming: Where should I start

Postby ElectraComplex » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:33 pm

comcamel wrote:I am getting fairly comfortable with php, html etc. however i don't go into advanced stuff like functions, void's etc. Which i don't really have a clue on. I would like to get advice for a starting point such as visual basic or something like that, or a book i should et. As i will have to wait till alevel to get started, but i cannot be assed doing it then.

thanks Luke

as a newbie, i recommend that you stay well away from languages such as C and C++. they really are bad languages to start out on and will probably do more to confuse, discourage, and disillusion you than anything else.
you are best starting out on a easy to learn object oriented language such as python, or perhaps, java. python is a great language to start on for the following reasons:
-its easy to use
-it encourages good and clean object oriented programming
-its widely used
-its powerful and has lots of applications.
ElectraComplex

Previous

Return to Programming