USB to parallel conversion cables

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

USB to parallel conversion cables

Postby kevanf1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Has anybody ever tried running an Iomega Zip parallel port model through a conversion cable that goes from parallel to USB? I can easily run my two through the parallel port as they are supposed to be used but I wondered if they can be used via USB. There is a newer USB version but is there firmware that changes the data flow?

Any ideas :?:
kevanf1
LXF regular

RE: USB to parallel conversion cables

Postby ollie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 am

Hi,
I know there are USB-IEEE-1284 Printer Cables available in Australia but I don't know their efffectivenessor whether they would work with Iomega Zip Drivess. They cost about $25.00 + Frt in Australia.
ollie

RE: USB to parallel conversion cables

Postby kevanf1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi Ollie. Yes, I've seen those cables too. They terminate in a centronics plug to connect direct to an old parallel port printer, something like a HP Laserjet. I've thought of getting one for my Laserjet but then it would take up a USB port and I would be left with a spare parallel port on the PC. Printing is quick enough so I'll keep the parallel port for the printer :) I was wondering about the USB port conversion so that I could easily move between various PC's and OS's. There are cables available that terminate in a proper parallel plug but I just wonder whether I'd be wasting my money... eBay is possibly the best place to get them monetary wise :)

Bathurst? Is that anywhere near Adelaide? I lived there for a short time back in 2000/2001. Lovely place and fantastically friendly people.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Return to Hardware