Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NViidia Graphics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acraigon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: NViidia Graphics Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
What exactly is the card your using.

I am posting this from my server using a Creative Labs TNT2 32 meg Video Card without the need to install the latest drivers from NVidia.
OS is Simply Mepis based on non stable Debian I believe.

My main PC uses a CL Geforce 4 with SuSE 9.2 and the latest NVidia Drivers that YaST can install.

Personally I don't think you can buy better Smile

Ram

NVidia GeForce MX 2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NViidia Graphics Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
init 3 doesn't seem to work on my mepis laptop or on this machine which is why I posted Wink

I always use "brute force".

Open a terminal as root. Or CTRL-ALT-F1 to a console and log in as root. (It is possible to disable CTRL-ALT-Fn in xorg.conf).

Then if you are using KDM (KDE's login manager) type:

killall kdm

(or gdm, xdm ,etc). Now edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and follow the instructions to install the nvidia drivers.

Now type

rmmod nvidia (to ensure any old, non working nvidia modules is removed)

modprobe nvidia

kdm

And your nvidia screen should spring into life!!
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NViidia Graphics Reply with quote

Oh dear it's happened again! I am forced to use Internet Exploder when at work, and it does not seem to save my Login details. Has the site been officially b0rked to stop autologin from Exploder?

Anyway the above post was mine, and I forgot to mention that should you type killall kdm from a terminal in an X window, you will be thrown back to a black-screen terminal and will have to log in.

It's just that I noticed that on the LiveCD of PCLinuxOS CTRL-ALT-F1 etc is disabled but for some reason is OK when installed. So I know it can be disabled!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NViidia Graphics Reply with quote

Yes, in Debian (along with many of its derivatives, presumably) runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 are all the same. Caught me out a couple of times, that has.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem which may affect nvidia driver users with digital monitor connections:

HERE
acraigon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Thankyou Reply with quote

Thank you to all those who contributed. I have got my card working with debian from a combination of the replies. Now how do I get my serial modem working!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: