Madriva 2005 laptop switch off

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Madriva 2005 laptop switch off

Postby biki » Thu May 12, 2005 4:50 pm

When I log out and want to quite Madriva 2005 Linux, my laptop switches off... but really switches off, so I can't start it again (no electricity). I have to disconnect the battery, wait ten seconds, connect battery again and only then can I boot again.

Laptop is one of the AJP laptops. I tried to stop various services... but no result.

Any idea?
biki

RE: Madriva 2005 laptop switch off

Postby andy_webster » Thu May 12, 2005 5:44 pm

[quote="biki"]When I log out and want to quite Madriva 2005 Linux, my laptop switches off... but really switches off, so I canThats a very odd problem. I can only really suggest backing up any important data and doing a reinstall, maybe even of a different (and better!) distro. Have you tried using a live CD such as Knoppix and logging out of that - worth a goas an alternative to reinstalling straight away.

Let me know how you get on - sorry I cant be any more help
andy_webster

Postby biki » Thu May 26, 2005 10:14 pm

Instead, in KDE of using button Turn off... I use restart...
And when BIOS stars loading again, I do hard reset.
Then i can boot Linux (or Windows... I have GRUB) with no problems (apart from not to forget to do restart instead of Turno Off.)
biki

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 27, 2005 4:37 pm

i had and still do :roll: have a modem problem with mandriva so i thought i may have done something wrong so i went for a complete new install and the screen repeatedly froze the only way around it was to just turn the power off :roll: i'm now going to do a fedora install and see how that goes 8)
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby towy71 » Fri May 27, 2005 5:36 pm

1sf (troll) to break out of paper bag wet corner ;-)
seriously if you can't get your speedtouch to work in mandrake then you won't get it to work anywhere else unless you actually do exactly as instructed, even I know that and I am exceedingly dim ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs