Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

A sticky topic, maybe, where people can list, for example, what 'site they reach for when they need a package, help each other save time hunting around for good repositories.

** edit:
should have said rpm.pbone.net is my fave.
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

Surely thats distro dependant ??? Because, for example, those of us using mandriva would probably all be aware of easyurpmi - we can get the rpms specifically tailored for whatever version you're using.

Though maybe those who use, say gentoo, might not really care - emerge will look through the list of their mirrors until it finds one that will let you in for whatever you're trying to emerge - unless you have a specific one set.

I mean, isn't that the whole point of forums, too ask Q's like that ??
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

Its distro specific to a point. Most distros can install rpms, just depends whether the user wants the functionality, I can install rpms on gentoo but its so much less hassle to emerge it. I guess its more or less the same with apt-get although I could never quite get on with that for some reason. If I am looking for source code for something (because the projects mani site is down or slow or whatever) then its tuxfinder.com I go to.
Rare that I need it though Very Happy
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

This sort of thing would be ideal to put on the LXF Wiki. If the page turns into a useful resource, I'll link to it from the Wiki front page.

M
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

Sorry to wonder a bit o/t: I've looked at the wiki and can't see where would be an ideal place to link to the page, so I'm proposing adding a Software link on the newbiezone page, and this and other articles about acquiring/compiling/installing/running linux software could accrue there. does that sound reasonable?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

faroutsonoflung, a Software page in the NewbieZone section would be excellent!

M
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

I tend to start looking on freshmeat. I suppose using source-based distros may have influenced that...
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

Ok, I've put a software page and a couple of subpages up in the newbie zone. I would be much obliged if others woudl go and correct any nosense I've put there and fill in any blanks.
Cheers,
Tim.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: RE: suggestion Reply with quote

Nice work faroutsonoflung -- that's a good start!

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: