Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADSL - BT - Hardware?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: ADSL - BT - Hardware? Reply with quote

I am very fortunate in that I have a cable connection and have not had to worry about the issues surrounding getting broadband down a telephone line. However, I am helping a friend out that is in desperate need of a new PC. Her current one is circa 1997 and is connected to BT with one of their Voyager devices. It is a Windows 98 set-up. Having been given a free reign in sorting out some new kit she is quite open to give linux a look. I have agreed to put together a dual boot box with WinXP + Linux. The area of uncertainy is the ADSL connection.

First question: I have heard of ADSL routers with ethernet - I assume these are boxes that will plug in to the PC with an RJ45 and plug in to the telephone line at the other end? Also they will all work with the BT service?

Second - I could plug one of the above into a firewall /router box ( I have a Belkin jobby that does a good job and offers wireless) - can you get all of this in one box that will be both BT and Linux compatible - indeed is this desirable?

These are pretty basic questions, but I have no working experience in this area and want to make sure that I spend someone elses money wisely.

Thanks.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL - BT - Hardware? Reply with quote

As long as she has a network card in her PC and you are connecting via ethernet yes it will be Linux compatible. In terms of BT compatabile AFAIK any router that has a built in modem will be compatible. I have used and set up a wide variety of routers, many of them on BT connections so you should be safe either way. I know for a fact that Addon, Netgear, and Belkin routers work fine with BT so if possible you could get one of these. The other option would be a modem that has an ethernet connection instead of a USB one, ut I don't know much about those so it may not help.

Hope this helped
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL - BT - Hardware? Reply with quote

It might be worth mentioning that many ADSL modem routers incorporate a firewall, look for one with stateful packet inspection, such as the Netgear DG834.
Birdman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL - BT - Hardware? Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tips.

The guy supplying the parts has recommended a Safecom router. I have been to the website and note TUX keeping an eye on things. This looks promising.
johnk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Belkin ADSL Modem router with BT successfully. Setting up and maintenance is no problem.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: