MythTV is Evil !!!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MythTV is Evil !!!

Postby axelfoley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:48 pm

Agggggg, If only I would have been hit by a bus before reading the MythTV Artical ... it would have saved me soooo much pain.

Really my life has been miserabe for 2 months because of that feature ,,,, I do think it was irresponsible of Linux Format to post such an incomplete feature......It at the very least should have been a tutorial spread over 6 months !!!!

Word of advice for anybody trying MythTV ,,,,

1). If you are a Newbie DONT DO IT LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT.

2). If it was not for legal reasons I am sure the author woul have said DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT HAS ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE VIA printed on it !!!!
Warning about "potential" VIA Problems with a PVR that uses DMA is like saying that a hand granade could give you a bit of a rash if used incorrectly!!

3). Only try this if you are single ......or at least have a prenup.

4). Take a photo of your family before you start and put it by your desk.... otherwise you will forget what they look like.

5). Use Valium or loose your sanity

:-) on the plus side I have learned a hell of a lot......MythTV is Evil!
axelfoley

RE: MythTV is Evil !!!

Postby jdtate101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:09 pm

I 2nd that assesment...pure evil.

Spend AGES trying to get the damn thing to work...so many pre-req's ...so many hidden hardware issues.

Gave up in the end ..I now use Kaffine with my PVR card to record TV. It even has a timer function and program guide.

My advise....either get hardware KNOWN TO WORK....or don't bother!
Ubuntu Edgy & Beryl on:

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:03 pm

Oh I dunno it wasnt that bad to set up. Having said that I suppsoe there are definitely parts of it whihc could have been easier. I find its usually best to make sure the hardware works with Xawtv or similar first
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby firefox » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 pm

You can't really blame MythTV for hardware compatibility though...

I had an old tv card that I knew worked with Linux and got MythTV working with it in an evening. Combined with the tutorial, I thought it was pretty easy!
firefox

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs