LXF 74 -=- Build your own distro

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 74 -=- Build your own distro

Postby jjmac » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Just noticed this on the front site page. The mag wont be available here (.au) for a couple of weeks, so i though i might enquire.

Has any body been mucking around with this ? -=- wondering on peoples thoughts etc. A totally excellent topic theme.

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

I played with it.

Postby Gnarg » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:13 pm

I just played with it last night. I got my ISO to 750 MB. Opps. :)

I have problems booting with this ISO. Hopefully my second try will be better. I may have missed something on my first try.

Gnarg
Gnarg

RE: I played with it.

Postby jjmac » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Howdy Gnarg,

The issue still isn't in my local yet (grin). Expect it will very soon though. Programs like 'qemu' sure come in handy for things like this.

Any ideas on what the probs may have been ?. It boot stage at least does seem to present a lot of possibilities. From what i can gather from the rudimentery probes iv'e been making with the dvd iso images since August. Iv'e had the most success with the recent knoppix 4.0 dvd image in that regard.

So many questions (grin) ... cloop <--> squashfs, grub <--> lilo ... I especially like the way knoppix manage persistence with a LiveCD boot too.

Hope the mag crops up soon, and hope to hear more on the topic ...

cheers

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs