Linux gone practical:

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux gone practical:

Postby comcamel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:35 pm

Linux is nearly all the time on computers etc. however what about starting more practical stuff, such as going into the streets and finding out how many people have heard of linux and that. Or setting up a kiosk to see how people react to a linux distro, as it would make the magazine a bit more intresting.

thanks Luke
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Linux gone practical:

Postby jjmac » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:04 am

Not a bad idea, though, all things require resources as such. Why don't you ?. As long as it was approached with some responsibility. You could post the results etc. I don't think the following would exactly be the way to go though ...

(hehehe), Go into your local central business area ... look for a major, largish computer retail outlet. One thats got signs/posters etc praising the joys of XP all over the place ... stand out side and say to people as they go by ... or even, as they are about to enter/leave, "Excuse me sir/madam, have you heard of the GNU/Linux based operating system distributions ? (hehehehe).

(better ware some body armour too, i think, in that set up)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:20 am

My local LUG does this, they have "Infopoints" at various places (computer fairs etc), where they have a couple of volunteers, a few PC's or laptops and a stack of distros burned onto CD that they can give away. I've never done one but they seem to be well received. Why not subscribe to your local LUG mailing list and see what they're up to, if they don't already run anything like this then you could be the one to start them off! Contact details will be near the back of any recent LXF.

Martyn
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:05 am

http://www.lug.org.uk/ is also a good place for finding out about your local lug ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby comcamel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:02 pm

well it is very hard to go to a lug, as the last time i went into a big town such as goole or york has been a few months, however linuxformat should look into projects with partnership with lugs, so that they can give some help or resources to them
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:32 pm

so if i did this, how could i send it in about what i found or did into the magazine?
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:04 pm

Possibly the top left of the main page, under "Things to do ..." would be that.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:46 pm

right next time I go into my local town/city, York or Hull possibly i will do a simple questionairre asking how many people have heard of linux, as there is a big band of people who know and don't. It would be good if lugs all around the Uk did this
comcamel
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs