Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngrinham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Compatibility Reply with quote

Why is it that I seem to have the only computer in the world that won't run Linux. I just bought LXF73 and ran up the Knoppix 4 live cd. Booted without incident, the first thing I tried to run was crack attack, locked up before game appeared. Reset, tried to run NVU, the outline appeared before locking up. Reset again, this time the intro (in Konquerer) never finished loading before locking up. Reset again, this time I played crack attack about 6 times before locking up. Most of the linux distros I try lock up with the possible exception of Xandros 2. Even 'Studio to Go' which I paid nearly $300 Australian for, locks up regularly. I currently have no peripherals connected, KT2 combo motherboard, AM Athlon (tm) XP 2400+ processor, 512Meg Ram, GeForce 4 tm (nVidia) MX440, on board sound card disabled, AOC spectrum monitor.
Hda=80 gig, Hdb=40gig, Hdc=CD/DVD reader, Hdd=40gig.
Currently not connected, Logitech webcam, Edirol USB audiocapture UA-25.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have a hardware fault, possibly your RAM. Boot from the Knoppix disc, type "memtest" at the boot prompt and let it run for several ours, overnight would be best.
johngrinham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

As suggested, ran memtest over night.
WallTime = 8:35:00, Cached = 512M, RsvdMem = 104K,
MemMap = e820-Std, Cache = on, Ecc = off, Test =Std,
Pass = 15, Errors = 0, EccErrs =

I guess I should have said that ONLY linux won't run on my computer, Windows was as stable as you could expect it to be. (I say was, because currently there is no windows on this machine, and I'm using my work laptop (win XP) to talk to this forum)

So is it motherboard, processor, or graphic card that Linux is not compatible with. ! My guess would be graphic card as the display always leaves dots and dashes on the screen when icons are moved, or windows resized etc. But I have NEVER found a way to update the drivers. Most of what I have found is far too confusing to even attempt. Besides, everytime I try a new distro I'm back to square one with the drivers. Would you recommend I give up on Linux and go back to Windows.?
johngrinham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

Memtest still running.
WallTime = 13:54:00
Erorrs = 0 (still)
!!!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

johngrinham wrote:
But I have NEVER found a way to update the drivers.

Depending on the distribution you use, updating to the nvidia drivers can be as easy as ticking a box, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'm also inclined to think the nvidia installation readme isn't that difficult.
Mandriva PowerPack (not the free version) installs the nvidia drivers if it detects an nvidia card during installation (it even installs the legacy drivers if you have a card not supported by the latest version). And with SuSE it's just a matter of ticking a box in YOU.

Perhaps Xandros worked for similar reasons, the paid for versions ship with the nvidia drivers (I don't recall whether they install by default or not.).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

I still think it could be a hardware thing. Linux uses memory differently to Windows, which is why I suggested that first, faulty memory will cause problems for Linux before Windows.

The fact that different distros fail, and that the failure happens at different times; sometimes it won't boot, fully, other times it runs programs for a while, tends to rule out software.

It could be an overheating CPU, try using an "air duster" on the heatsink, but cover your nose; you wouldn't believe the amount of crap it can blow out. A failing PSU can cause similar problems.
johngrinham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

Depending on the distribution you use, updating to the nvidia drivers can be as easy as ticking a box

Thanks Rhakios for your reply, unfortunately my hobby directs me towards a distro that is fine tuned for music recording applications, ie, 'Studio to go'. I recently bought this distro ($300 Australian) but it obviously doesn't have these drivers. I can't keep buying distros till I find one with nvidia drivers if they don't have the music apps I want. Catch 22.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Download and install. You don't need your distro to include them.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

True, but he does need a kernel-source. I have had a quick look at the Studio to Go site and am somewhat underwhelmed by the level of information provided. It looks okay superficially, but there's not much detail. The only forum I can see looks to be a waste of space and I'm not forking out 44 of my money to find out any more.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

Studio to Go must provide the kernel source, or they are breaking the GPL.
johngrinham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I still think it could be a hardware thing. Linux uses memory differently to Windows, which is why I suggested that first, faulty memory will cause problems for Linux before Windows.

I appreciate your input, and I know I'm not the expert here, but lets examine a couple of things a little closer.

Where I live right now is almost mid summer, my little shed gets very, very warm (read 'bloody hot') during the day. I just ran a memtest for almost 24 hours with zero errors and it didn't look like it was going to stop. ps my computer has no covers.

When I retire to the shed in the evening I put on a fan and an air conditioner, then I turn on my computer for the first time for the day and run up Knoppix 4. Inside 3 mins it has locked up.

I'm ot a computer tech, but I am a telephone tech, I install and maintain small and large telephone systems, and I can't believe a heat problen can occur within three mins for knoppix, but not in 24 hours for a memtest.
I need a little more convincing. Smile

No, the way I see it is, something in my machine is incompatible with Linux. Perhaps you were lucky enough to have a computer that is compatible, and therefore can't appreciate how frustrating this is for me. I have tried about four different versions of knoppix, the very first one I had worked ok, just didn't have the programs I wanted. But none since have worked at all. I have tried almost every distro on LXF over the past 2 years, either they crash fairly quickly, or they don't boot at all. I don't see how I could get so many faulty disks, so again we are back to an incompatibility problem.

Only one version of Xandros worked, again an early one, and none since.
I also get distros from other magazines, with similar results.

I can't get away from this idea of incompatibility. Nothing else makes sense.
johngrinham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Studio to Go must provide the kernel source, or they are breaking the GPL.

This is all academic, I can't get it to run long enough to want to perservere with it, so why would I waste time trying to upgrade the vidio drivers.

Please look at the big picture here, I need to find out why my computer crashes almost daily under Linux (and in the case of Knoppix 4, minutely). It crashes maybe monthly under windows, and I don't believe it's because windows is a better OS.
johngrinham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Download and install. You don't need your distro to include them.

Yes, I have seen this page before, but I have no idea which one of those links is the right one for me. Do you.??

ps I guess I can eliminate the BSD and solaris drivers.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

johngrinham wrote:
Yes, I have seen this page before, but I have no idea which one of those links is the right one for me. Do you.??

Linux IA32.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Compatibility Reply with quote

If you look at the big picture, you will see that different Linux distros, running different versions of software and the kernel, crash at random times. Sometimes during bootup, sometimes a while later.

If it was a software incompatibility, I would expect the lockups to be more predictable, and probably limited to certain software/kernel versions.

memtest does not work anything but the memory, so all it proves is that your memory is fine (we'll ignore the few instances where memtest has failed to pick up faulty memory for now).

Your hardware is about as commonplace as it gets. There may be compatibility issues with some arcane hardware, particularly on laptops, but thousands of people have run Linux on the same hardware as you.

Which was the version of Knoppix that worked for you, and have you tried that version again lately?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: