Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto-login hit and miss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

I don't suppose it has anything to do with logging on from different machines, does it ?
Like if you log on from another machine you get forgotten on the first ?

Nigel.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

Nigel wrote:
I don't suppose it has anything to do with logging on from different machines, does it ?
Like if you log on from another machine you get forgotten on the first ?

Not in my case.
Not related to gross time delay or whether I've rebooted the PC or the NAT router.
Some minor timing sync problem, perhaps?
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

I am having problems with auto-login, and in fact login altogether.

Last night, it was blueyonder`s fault, I assume, as their mail server was behaving extremely strangely, and I had picked that moment to try and retrieve my password using my laptop (being too lazy to go nextdoor to my desktop and boot it up just to read my password).

After several tries, and no email (infact some strangely duplicated, already downloaded emails), I eventually managed to login , changed my password, and was ok.

However, this morning, just before work, my login failed several times, both from my laptop, and my PDA, before finally working from the laptop, but not the PDA.

I often try and login from the following:
Firefox winXP, Suse9.2
I.E winxp, win2k, PocketPC2003, suse9.2 (crossover office-don`t ask)
Konqueror suse 9.2
Mozilla win2k

Depends where I am and what I`m doing.
I have had login errors from firefox and IE, but it may be a blueyonder issue, as it all seems to work fine from my work pc on Suse or winXP.

By the way, the website is almost unusable on Pocket windoze, is there a better browser for pocketPC?
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Well, that was a first... I was definitely logged in when I started reading the forums (I know that because I checked the line at the top of the screen that told me I had no unread messages), but when I tried to post a reply I had to login again.
Question Question Question Question Question

Nigel.
Raymond

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

SuSE 9.2 LXF DVD and Firefox did auto login sometimes, but SuSE 9.3 Pro and Firefox 1.0.3 never does. Just tried Konqueror thats the same.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

Every time I think I see a pattern to this (such as auto login failing when I have logged in from a different computer previously), then I find an exception, e.g. last logged in here on my laptop, but today auto-login has worked on my desktop.

I have decided that it's just random.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

I find that if you logon from the 'home page' rather than the login at the bottom of the 'forums index' then when you start Firefox you will be still logged in but not the other way round

who knows it might just be random to keep us on our toes Wink

bye
Dick
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

Now I have to log in every time!

Very rarely it will remember me.

Slack 10.1 firefox 1.0.3
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

I tried the site with Konqueror the other day, the problems that made it too slow have been fixed, and haven't needed to log in since. Firefox seemed to require it randomly, although it appeared to be linked to logging in from a different computer previously.

Now I've posted this, you can be sure Konq will fail to log in soon Sad
evilnick

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
I eventually managed to login , changed my password, and was ok.

However, this morning, just before work, my login failed several times, both from my laptop, and my PDA, before finally working from the laptop, but not the PDA.

Still looking into this problem - problem is that auto-login seems to work fine here on everything we've tried.

In your case though, from what you say here, part of the problem may be inconsistent cookies. If you change your password, all the cookies on other browsers/machines are going to be wrong. Try deleting them.
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Auto-login hit and miss Reply with quote

I'm here mostly with Firefox 1.0.3 on Windows XP at work. Half my posts end up as Guest because I don't realise I'm not logged in - though I should be.

Anyway, since I'm using Windows, I suppose I get what I deserve Confused
evilnick

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have tweaked some settings. There was an active timeout, which would log you out after a certain period which was responsible for some of the problems.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: