Trying to get info on subscribing

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Trying to get info on subscribing

Postby tux2 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I have sent Email 2 times a week ago to the relevant Email addresses for some details before subscribing to the Mag - unfortunately no one has replied, does LFX staff actually read Email sent to the following addresses:

customerservice@futurenet.co.uk,
support@futurenet.co.uk
mike.saunders@futurenet.co.uk

The reason for sending to these was the following:
========================================
This is the mail delivery agent at messagelabs.com.
I was not able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

<future@subscription.co.uk>:
193.132.139.36 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Rule imposed mailbox access for
future@subscription.co.uk refused
=========================================

What is going on? I also sent the error message to the above mentioned addresses but in a week no reply.

What next?

An eager reader who wants to subscribe...
tux2 in Melbourne, Australia.
tux2

RE: Trying to get info on subscribing

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello,

I didn't receive your email -- maybe your ISP has been added to some spamblock list along the email chain? If possible, drop me a line from a different email account and I'll be happy to answer any questions (or forward them on). Alternatively, you can post your questions here.

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Trying to get info on subscribing

Postby tux2 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi Mike,

Interestingly it was only "future@subscription.co.uk" that bounced - none of the others did. In any event, why would "mail.westnet.com.au", my ISP, be blocked (IP 202.72.128.70). They are one of Australia's best run ISP's, no spam issues with them unlike some of our other ISP's.

The questions on subscription were:

I have been thinking of subscribing to Linux Format for a while,
if I subscribe today, when will my issue get shipped (Next available
issue) and how does it get shipped?

What is the approximate time from you shipping it to the time I can
expect it at my PO box in Australia? Note that mail arriving in Australia
should only take 2-3 days to get to the final destination.
tux2

Re: Trying to get info on subscribing

Postby CJLL » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:49 pm

tux2 wrote: This is the mail delivery agent at messagelabs.com.

What is going on? I also sent the error message to the above mentioned addresses but in a week no reply.

If I understand correctly Future's subscriptions service has been outsourced to another company, and the other company has either a brain dead sysadmin who hasn't set up his mail server to handle Future's e-mail requests, or a brain dead commercial manager who hasn't told his sysadmin to setup the mail server to handle Future's e-mail.

:roll:
CJLL
LXF regular

Re: Trying to get info on subscribing

Postby tux2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:54 pm

CJLL wrote:
tux2 wrote: This is the mail delivery agent at messagelabs.com.

If I understand correctly Future's subscriptions service has been outsourced to another company, and the other company has either a brain dead sysadmin who hasn't set up his mail server to handle Future's e-mail requests, or a brain dead commercial manager who hasn't told his sysadmin to setup the mail server to handle Future's e-mail.

:roll:

Well I do not know...it seems that something as basic as wanting to know how they ship copies, air freight express or normal airfreight and what sort of turn around can be expected, before "signing up", is a bit to hard.

I love the mag but am sick of waiting 6 weeks before they are available in Melbourne in local news agents - that is why a subscription seems to be the way to go but I have never subscribed to an overseas Mag so it is hard to know what to expect.
tux2

Postby Smallenhofer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:36 am

Hi Tux2

I think I have the information you need from Tower, our subscription people:

- If you took out a subscription online today, the first issue to be shipped would be LXF75. the February 2006 issue. That sounds a bit far ahead, but in fact we have already sent it to the printers, so it sounds as though you would be shipped the first new issue that's available.

- Issues are sent to Australia by Air Mail.

- LXF75 has an on-sale date in the UK of 10th January. Tower say you should allow up to 14 days from this date for receipt.

I hope this is all the information you needed? Sorry that's it taken us so long to get it to you...

Rebecca S
Smallenhofer

Postby tux2 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately I could not wait any longer for something to happen so I simply phoned the UK from Melbourne and took out a subscribtion over the phone.

The guy was quite helpful, he arranged for me to get the December issue as a "back issue", the January issue comming out December 9 and the supscribtion to continue from the February issue onwards. The on-line subscribtion would have seen me waiting until mid-January before getting anything - that would be like a "cold turkey":-)) - No Mag over X-Mas - shudder....

All that at the special price advertised on the subscribtion site. So much for modern Internet communications - easier over the phone, now where was that VoIP configuration - ahhh there it is...

Tux2
tux2

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs