Linux From Scratch

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux From Scratch

Postby Gordon » Tue May 03, 2005 6:31 pm

Have any Linux Format readers attempted to install a Linux From Scratch system?

Did you come across any problems or do you have any good tips? What do you think about Linux From Scratch?

I've built a base Linux From Scratch system and am now upgrading it with Beyond Linux From Scratch. I'm using version 6 of both. So far I have the base LFS, jed editor, links browser, Xorg and fvwm2 installed. There are a few other things installed, but they are the sort of "invisible" things you don't really see; openssl, cracklib, pam, shadow, iptables etc.

As you can see I'm slowly working my way through BLFS6. I've got my broadband working and set up a firewall per the BLFS book, but I can't really tell if the firewall is working. How would I check or test this with a single machine?

The thought of having a Linux system tailored to my hardware and my wishes was just too tempting.

What do you think?

Gordon Murgatroyd
Gordon
LXF regular

RE: Linux From Scratch

Postby nelz » Tue May 03, 2005 7:32 pm

nelz
Site admin

Postby Gordon » Wed May 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Thanks for that Nelz. It appears my Linux from Scratch system is more secure than SUSE 9.3 at the moment! Maybe I need to reconfigure the SUSE personal Firewall.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Sat May 07, 2005 8:10 pm

I've now got the GNOME desktop working, butt appear to be having a problem with the panel icons. Any ideas out there?

I must say that Gnome feels far more responsive now it's been compiled from source.

No native GNOME apps compiled as yet though.

:roll:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby Nobber » Mon May 09, 2005 10:02 am

I first tried LFS 3.1 some years ago, and it went very smoothly and worked well. However, the BLFS book was very incomplete at that stage, and I had no idea how to get X compiled and installed properly, so I stuck with Debian for a while. A little later I tried LFS 3.3, and that also went without hitch. And by that time the BLFS book was a little more useful, so I was able to build a fully usable system that eventually became my default OS, and stayed that way for about 18 months until I upgraded to BLFS 5.0.

I use Slackware these days to avoid having to build a base system and X myself - as the parent of a small child, my computer time is limited now :!: - but I still find the BLFS book useful for installing stuff that doesn't come as standard with Slack.
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Return to Discussion