The Dark Side ...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: The Dark Side ...

Postby Nigel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:07 am

RD wrote:I would love to know where people get it takes this long to install the tools you need and have it fully working :?

I just looked at the clock... I started the install after dinner, around 8pm. You'll notice my post was timed at 11:27. And I'm not kidding about the 90+ minutes to "remove backup files" :(

And at that point I still had to do the final stage - getting updates from the MS website. Finally finished everything at 1am this morning.

Yes, I know that 64Mb is pushing it a bit for Win2k, but that's what the laptop came with (both the 64Mb and Win2k), and it actually runs pretty well - in normal use Win2k seems to be more memory efficient than Win9x. Visual Studio takes a couple of minutes to load, but once loaded it runs OK (well, it's fast enough for learning C#, which is the only reason it's on this machine)

Installing the same package on my 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb memory in the office took about 2 hours from start to finish IIRC, so it isn't all down to the machine.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: The Dark Side ...

Postby RD » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:33 am

If your learning C# i would recommend you get vs.NET 2005 :) wow C# is easy as it put things there for you ie

press "I" and it gives you a list of options to use that start with "I" very useful for people who choose C# as there first language :), see my laptop is a p4 2.8 1Gb ram and from my last post every thing i needed in under a hour and a half. so i have no idea why i takes so long on your 3Ghz more or less the same setup granted thats not including the updates!
RD
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:40 am

I think my main machine was having some problems with the MSDN CDs (all 3 of them) - they made a hell of a racket whilst reading. Like they were out of balance or something. But the same CDs in the little laptop didn't cause any problems (slower drive), and other CDs in the main machine haven't made that sort of noise.

We're moving to VS 2003 company-wide (like we all use VS 6.0 for C/C++). We don't want the problems that come with having different versions in different places (and we know all about that from the days when we used the Watcom compilers - very good, but there were subtle differences between 10.5 & 11.0 that caused no end of hassles).
Also we've all bought the book that goes with Visual C# 2003.

I've always liked the Visual Studio IDE, and C# in particular appeals as it gives you the "paint your windows then add code" simplicity of Visual Basic with the power of C++. And, of course, it co-exists quite happily with VS 6.0 (now there's a first for Microsoft :)) so we can continue to maintain our core C & Fortran code, turn it into dlls and then call it from C#

I'm hoping to steer future developments so that they can be easily ported to mono and used under Unix as well...
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:55 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:I assume you have tried Kdevelop? I do do all my programing in the console or kwrite, so not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for...

Forgive my much belated replies, just catching up on the last few weeks :)

Your using kwrite and console, why not use Kate? Syntax highlighting, external tools, project docking bays, built in terminal.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:14 pm

I have a laptop its only a 2.8Ghz and i took Linux off it and reinstalled win xp Pro, plus installed Visual Studio 2005 pro and off xp with drivers in under a hour and half.

Well, I have installed Suse 9.1,9.3 and now 10 on my 2 year old laptop, IBM R40 (2GHz, 512Mb ram).
With lots of apps, Openoffice2, etc,etc it took about 45 mins.
And all the hardware works fine.
XP pro on the same unit is preinstalled but the wireless card (cisco miniPCI) has never worked reliably under Windows, until a new upgrade became available last week.

On my home PC, (Asus Athlon64 3200+) Suse 10 64 bit took about the same time including all the apps, and one reboot.
Windows XP took about 35 minutes, (with no apps, just drivers), and 3 reboots.
This is not counting the 25 minutes I wasted because windows decided it wanted to install on F:drive because of my card reader, had to disable it in bios and restart!
Installing all my apps (far less than I get under Suse) took another hour.
And the Marvell gigabit ethernet card just won`t work under XP, I had to install a PCI 100 Mbit card to get on the internet. (Needless to say it works under Suse).

Do I detect a pattern here? :twisted:
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:40 pm

ahhh nordle how do you get two scripts open in kate at the same time? I maybe missing something here though?? I use kwrite for full scripts and vi for lazy scripts for example editing xorg.conf!!
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:11 pm

ahhh nordle how do you get two scripts open in kate at the same time?

go to the view menu and select either split horizontal or split vertical depending whihc you prefer. Then click in the area you wan tone file open in, go to open etc. Then for the other click in the other half and go to open etc.

Amazingly simple, yet took me ages to find out you could even do that :oops:
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion