Build a personal distribution

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Build a personal distribution

Postby marco » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42 am

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the great tutorial in the newest Linux Format issue.

I am planning to create an own distribution with all my settings in Gnome and required programs (eclipse, anjuta, firefox, …). It is just for my personal use and I do not plan to publish it. The distribution should be based on Debian (as this is my main system).

Is there an “easy” way to create an installation CD with the Debian Installer or would you recommend using the Knoppix LiveCD as base system (as explained in your tutorial)?

Thanks for your advice,

Marco
marco
LXF regular

Postby degreane » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:17 am

Could you please help building a distro !?????

Regards
degreane

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 am

Degreane, what kind of help do you need? In the latest issue, there's a tutorial showing you how to make your own based on Knoppix, and mini-guides for modifying other distros and packages too.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:22 pm

You'll also find lots of info on building LiveCDs (basically the same) on the www.knoppix.net sites forum pages.

There's a thread in the wiki at the moment on this theme as well ?

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:36 pm

Liked the article, and thought I'd give Linux From Scratch a go...
That was yesterday... today I want to KILL this machine, after all the compile errors!
... as they say, a bad workman always blames his tools :|
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:46 am

hairymunky wrote:Liked the article, and thought I'd give Linux From Scratch a go...
That was yesterday... today I want to KILL this machine, after all the compile errors!
... as they say, a bad workman always blames his tools :|

Glad you liked it. What errors are you getting with Linux From Scratch -- as in, if you're getting the same errors every time you try to compile something, there may be a quick solution. LFS takes time, but if you follow the guide to the exact letter, it should go without any big hiccups. Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 pm

hairymonkey

Building Linux from scratch is problematic when using certain distros as the host. I, for instance, have never been able to build LFS when the host distro has been any 9 version of SUSE. IMHO the best distro to use as a host when building LFS is Slackware, though you will need to upgrade Slackware first so it uses the 2.6.* kernel etc. I've successfully built LFS 6.1 using Slackware 10.1 as the host and also the development versions of LFS from a Slackware 10.1 host.

You need to be very meticulous when doing the build. Don't try any shortcuts you may think of the first time you do the build and it may help if you use copy and paste in an X window environment to get the commands exactly right. If you are typing the commands by hand then be prepared for a total build time of around 12 hours, yes that long. It may be wise to spread the build of chapter 5 over several days, but from experience I can say that it would be best to get the chapter 6 build done in one session if possible.

Keep at it, don't let technology beat you, enjoy the experience and welcome to the learning curve that is LFS :-)

For your inspiration here's a link to a screenshot of one of my LFS builds

http://www.gurgs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/inspiration.php

And remember there are the LFS mailing lists which can be helpful, for more info on these see

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mail.html

Happy building :-)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:14 pm

Last night, I couldn't get Glibc to "make", same error, even with different versions of Glibc.
In the end put it down to an "incompatible host" (in this case Suse 10 OSS),
tonight I booted from the LFS bootdisc I decided to download, and am just about to start compiling the tools..... fingers crossed ;)

Wish me luck, I might be some time.... hehehe

PS thanks for the help and advice
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby hairymunky » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:31 pm

... still building :) and this time Im halfway through chapter 6
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby Gordon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:22 pm

Great stuff hairymonkey :-)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:44 pm

... :(

Back to the drawing-board, after I built my LFS, rebooted.....
just to look at a filesystem that was read-only!!!! arrrrghhhhhhhhhh
Positive I followed the constructions properly!!!!
Maybe it should be known as BIY Linux (Bodge it yourself)
Away again, starting from scratch :)
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby jjmac » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:54 pm

Gordon wrote:
>>
Building Linux from scratch is problematic when using certain distros ...
>>

Thats an interesting comment really, i think it may touch on somethings iv'e been thinking on lately.

Iv'e been experimenting with gcc-4.0.1 and libc6-2.3.5 builds recently. The builds go ok but i get, sometimes quite wide, variations in the 'testsuite' runs. Including radical total fails. Seems the optimisations, and whether i use gcc-3.4 or gcc-3.3 for the initial build will be significant. As sarge is all gcc-3.3 based, and gcc-4.0.x involves a significant abi changei, iv'e been suspecting that as the main reason. Strange how optimisations become so sensitive though. Just the difference between a -march=i486 or an -march=athlon-k8. Though iv'e read often enough on the hidden problems that optimisations can introduce :roll:, So i find your comment there really interesting ...

Would you think that the abi/optimisation state of a distros tools/libs would be the fundamental caurse for that. I can only suspect on this rather than being actually sure, but i would think a slack host would likely be less optimisation specific, and so more overall compatible ..., not to give up though ...

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs