Please help me to install Linux

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Gorky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:47 am

Shifty
I will go to the Ubuntu website and try first. You said the list doesn't show anything as to the ext2 partition.
I have downloaded a Windows freeware program called Everest to check my system. The output is from that program.

You know Windows doesn't show those Linux partitons.

I know the installer is capable of partitoning.
The question is to get a working Linux system to my computer. Are you satisfied with Ubuntu?

I worked almost 2 years with Mandrake 10.0. It was an excellent product. The computer crashed and everything went to hell. I lost everything. Those loses can't buy for money.

I must learn to live this way. I haven't done back up work for a nearly a year. Because I don't have time. I go to school and train 3 times a week a at a gym. Those loses are enormous. As I said, I must learn to live with this.

I did a lot of work with scripting language. Just to learn the scripting language, I was working with it when things went to hell.
Gorky

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:16 pm

I only used Ubuntu briefly myself, theres nothing wrong with it, I just happen to prefer portage to apt-get. In terms of the partitioning I have to admit I didnt realise you used a windows based program to get that output. Was quite obvious really I dont know why I didnt make the connection :oops:
In terms of your backup needs, if you have a home network, or even a spare PCthat you can network to your main one, you could do what I do. I have a cron Job running that every 2 nights backs up my home directory to a network share.
Mandrake 10.0 was indeed a pretty good distribution, when i originally started using Linux Mandrake is what i started on, although it was far earlier than version 10.0.
Whether Ubuntu will be good for you is dependant on how you like your systems to be, as I say I prefer portage to apt-get, so I preferred Gentoo, but then I do like to be in control so perhaps its the installation method that attracted me to Gentoo. The good thing about Ubuntu is that you get a live CD as well, so it means you cna put that in first and check you like it. Not knowing more about your needs I dont know which distro to recommend, although if you are interested in SUSE then the boxed version is worth buying. It may be that you can get a 64-bit version of SuSE OSS on the net, although I would guess its quite well hidden.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Gorky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies

I have already asked them to ship Ubuntu. A friend of mine told me Kubuntu
is the best one. My friend said Ubuntu lacks KDE interface. It has the GNOME interface.

I have never used GNOME. Is it correct that Ubuntu lacks KDE?

I don't have an extra computer or a network at home. I will get an extra computer soon.

What is portage? I think Apt-get is a downloading tool. I am not sure.
Gorky

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:39 pm

Yes Ubuntu lacks gnome, one of the reasons I didnt like it I guess. Yes apt-get is a dwonlaoding program in effect. If you wnat aprogram then you can run from the command line

apt-get [program]

although you do have to do other things from time to time. Portage is very similar in that to install a program you type

emerge [program]

and it will downlaod and isntall the ebuild for you. Kubuntu is a better idea if you are certain that you want KDE, it may even be possible to put KDE onto an ordinary ubuntu install, I have absolutely no idea on that one. theoretically it is but it may take a bit of work. Another thing you could do for backup is use an exteranl hard drive and use a Cron job do backup to that, you could even get it to burn a CD for you, but you would have to remember to put a disc in the burner first.
The best way for backup I have found is simply to create a backup as soon as you edit/create anything. Its a bit of a pain at first but once you get into the routine its quite useful.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm

You can get KDE in Ubuntu my making sure the Universe repositories are uncommented in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then entering:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Gorky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:49 pm

M-saunders

Is it very easy to install the KDE on Ubuntu?
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:23 pm

Just do what M-Saunders says, it is as easy as the command he gives - I have done the same with Ubuntu on a laptop.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 pm

I am encouraged by the comments made by ollie and started downloading
SuSE Linux 10.0 Evaluation version for 64 bit computers.

It is over 3GB. I must keep my computer on for about 48 hours to complete
the download. It is going on.

I will not shut down the computer until it completes the download. Ollie
suggested the Novell site.
Gorky

Previous

Return to Hardware