Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF74
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good article about Linux in Education. I've shown it to our MCSE-brainwashed network manager ( Cool ) and has said "we can run both platforms" just to shut me up Rolling Eyes Laughing
alex_extreme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... first post here Razz

I just got the new issue with my subscription, and it is great, and I am now convinced from the Ubuntu review to switch back to Ubuntu from Gentoo. I'm also installing the copy of SuSE 10.0 from the DVD in VMware right now. But I just noticed one mistake in the Ubuntu review... The next version will be called Dapper Drake, not Dapper Duck... (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperDrake)

Anyway, great issue, and I hope to post here more in the future.

(BTW, I'm quite a young Linux user - I am 12 years old, 13 in January)
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alex_extreme

From an old(ish) 'un to a young 'un, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Good to have you on board. Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_extreme wrote:
The next version will be called Dapper Drake

I wonder if this is a sly poke at Mandr... iva Very Happy
alex_extreme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
alex_extreme wrote:
The next version will be called Dapper Drake

I wonder if this is a sly poke at Mandr... iva Very Happy

Yeah, that's the first thought that came into my head when I saw the name
ollie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladi wrote:
Anyone already using SuSE 10? What do you think of it?

I've been using SUSE 10 from the CD download set - not OpenSUSE or the boxed set and because it supposedly has more software than the DVD download version - for about a month now. I tried an upgrade from 9.3 but there were lots of compatibility warnings related to gcc3.2 => gcc4.0 so I did a clean install and just re-mounted my home partition and assigned the few users back to their own home directories. Some things are great but there are some irritating features - I needed to delete the old desktop config files (.kde & .gnome + .gnome2 + .gnome2_private) or the desktop icons and menus didn't point at the correct application. I then found out kmail doesn't keep Contacts as part of the Mail directory - lost a couple of important addresses of older relatives that don't have e-mail to ask for contact details again. Embarassed

Scribus is missing because it needs some older libraries, it was easy enough locating the offending libraries and dependencies and using YaST to install but it just took time.

gFTP is missing so I had to grab it and compile from source as older RPMs wouldn't work - again I think this is a GCC issue. This is just easier when updating and editing web sites - I use Quanta and the CSSED from LXF73 Hotpicks.

I also have an issue where none of my browsers - Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror - except Epiphany can browse the directory structure to save files. Epiphany doesn't have this problem even in KDE. Adobe Reader has also caused some problems and I can't have PDFs open up within Firefox - but I think this might be a Firefox 1.0.7 issue.

Akregator, BLAM and Liferea all have issues with the RSS feed from Linux Format - everything keeps getting added as new feed items on each hourly update - currently from Firefox 1.5 RC1 released to Gnome Foundation cuts board size with the times being set to current date and time. This is the only feed that does this so it is probably a Post Nuke or LXF config issue.

Beagle just refuses to work for me - I had grown very attached to this in version 9.3.

A few other multimedia issues with RealPlayer, and shoutcast playlists using Internet radio. I've always had issues with Amarok because I want to listen to streams that are mirrored by my ISP as these aren't included in my 15 GB download cap. They also have an FTP mirror and Tucows mirror so it doesn't cost for updaters as the mirror the majority of Linux distros.

I also have to upgrade a couple of servers to the newer version due to security issues - one of the teacher's opened the web server up to the PHP XMLRPC worm last weekend and Linux.Plupii found the server. I've fixed the issue but suggested an upgrade - I'll find out how the export/import of users matches our configuration when the upgrade takes place. This doesn't look real easy at the moment because I can't find any information on this from SUSE.

However I still would recommend this release for "knowledgeable" users - especially if you prefer KDE to Gnome. It has the same feeling as most x.0 releases from SUSE Linux and when these bugs, and others that may exist, are fixed it will still be the best "cutting edge" release around.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_extreme wrote:
The next version will be called Dapper Drake, not Dapper Duck...

Arrgghhh!! I am on permanent bath duty with my baby boy, and he has a collection of ducks that he has to have - they haunt me in my dreams and now they've haunted me in the magazine! Shocked

Or rather, thanks for pointing it out - I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but my apologies for the mistake.

AndyH
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladislav is in this one, he is a cool guy, helped me out a lot. 2/3rds of Linuxiso.co.uk's sales are thanks to him and I donate $50 per month in to DistroWatch.com's donation pot. It is worth buying it for him alone.
evilnick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Ladislav will be in all of them from now on, Distrowatch is a regular.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, must say, the articles/tutorials in the mag this half year have been really good. I don't think iv'e ever spent so much time actually reading them, as i have of late (upto October at present) ...

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
For what it's worth, must say, the articles/tutorials in the mag this half year have been really good. I don't think iv'e ever spent so much time actually reading them, as i have of late (upto October at present) ...

Any magazine that reviews games like 'The Sheep Killer' has to be good Smile

M
alex_extreme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... I got rather addicted to that game... for 20 minutes Wink
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait for Sheep Killer DS, which includes touch-screen multi-player mutton mauling mayhem in a portable form!

The perfect gift for Christmas!

M

(May never be released.)
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm having a lot of fun with xmoto. Quite tricky to get the hang of it, I find. I keep doing somersaults on the bike. Ouch !! Very Happy
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxgirlie wrote:
urmmmm, I think I might be.....but I haven't been told about the women in Linux bit, though I answered the questions!...but I might be there with a games review as well Wink if they dont push it back for any other reason!!

Jeeeeezus, they will have to rename the mag to LGF! Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: