GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2

Postby moshshockerz » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:59 am

i,ve just installed my SUSE 9.2 via GHOST.i,ve sucessfully duplicate the hardisk.but my prob is i can't boot, it,s required the root password for maintenance manually.the error message is "fsck fail".i don't know what is the problem, because i,ve been ghost the hardisk for many times but the results is still the same. i'm not also familiar with LINUX. i choose to ghost the hardisk because there is a software that need to be configure by a programmer that we develope ourselve. and this pc will run as a server and we need to make it about 100. if i do the fresh install then we need to configure it again and again.what is the problem and how can i fix it???
PLEASE HELP ME....... :?:
moshshockerz

RE: GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2

Postby dandnsmith » Sun May 01, 2005 11:12 am

Whatever else it is, this isn't a GRUB problem per se.

The fact that you're saying that you need to fsck the filesystem suggests that there may be something lost in copying (perhaps to do with the journalling files).

I don't know why, if you are doing things like this, you don't have the root password - you need to get it. For all we know you're just trying to bypass system security without permission, so I won't offer any assistance in this respect.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

RE: GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2

Postby fingers99 » Sun May 01, 2005 3:07 pm

If you do have the root password, then you can run fsck manually:

fsck /dev/(partition)

I'm not sure how well Ghost works with Linux filesystems. You might find that partition image does a better job.
fingers99
LXF regular

Return to Help!