Napster Crap

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Napster Crap

Postby jer1ch0 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:41 pm

It's a f****** disgrace that in this day and age, a site like Napster http://www.napster.com/ have this on their front page.
System Requirements
PC only, Windows XP/2000, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1 or higher, Windows Media Player 7.1 or higher, Internet connectivity

Even on a personal/family website this stuff is frowned upon.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: Napster Crap

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 pm

It is a commercial organisation. If they want to reduce the number of people they will take money from, who are we to argue?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M0PHP » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:07 am

Probably because their DRM will only work on windows :evil:

What I don't get is how the US store's membership is $14.95, and the UK membership is £14.95! According to the exchange rate, 14.95 GBP = 26.44 USD, or 14.95 USD = 8.45 GBP ....
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:31 am

Welcome to International commerce... US companies that sell on both sides of the Atlantic have been using UKP1 = US$1 for years, regardless of the rates everybody else uses.
Some try to justify it by saying it's due to the higher cost of doing business over here - from experience, I can say that UK overheads are a little higher than US ones, but not by that much !
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Hmmm.. I tend to agree with you Nigel on that. Even napster.co.uk appears to be hosted in the US! :evil:

And they wonder why people are still using limewire + torrent sites? :roll:
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby ggsinclair » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:04 pm

Jer1ch0

If it makes you feel any better- I am using Napster through XP and in my opinion- its not worth using.

They charge at least £9.95 per month to use the service. Then you pay £0.79 for every track you "buy". You cannot save these tracks to your hard drive. They must be burned to disc.

When you burn to disk (in my experience) you get a nice runtime error which terminates the program. Am still awaiting a fix for this.

If you decide not to keep paying your £9.95 per month, the tracks that you have "bought" are deleted - you cannot keep them unless you have burned to disc, from what I can find out.

As you can probably tell I am a bit hacked off with them at the mo.

Are there any Linux friendly music download sites (legal!!) :)

Gordon
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:14 pm

From what youve said sounds like I should b glad I don't use napster. How can they get away with that because surely you have bought the track from them? effectively at least. HMV and Virgin have set up similar projects dont know much about them though so im not sure if you can use on Linux
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby ggsinclair » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:40 pm

I have just had the response from the Napster "technical support" team.

I have to uninstall the program then re-install to fix the problem. Very helpful - I could have thought of that!!

Gordon
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:50 pm

I have to uninstall the program then re-install to fix the problem.

Hehe isnt that true of every windoze program?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:45 am

Better than I get at work, whenever I need tech support for our SIMS server, (for those who don't know its a MIS by Captia) they just state have you restarted the server?!? (Yes, that SERVER, not SERVICE!) Its the first response they give you, so I just end up trying that first before contacting them.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:07 am

Have to say whilst I was at sixth form I always wondered why the servers were being reset so frequently, guess that probably answers that 1!
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:10 pm

actually no go into your kde browser and turn your identify to internet explorer, that may work...

actually that didn't work but just do a google search for napster - linux clients, or "napster linux" there are a few around and that may work.
comcamel
LXF regular

Return to Discussion