Distro for a newbie

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Distro for a newbie

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi all,

after some advice Ive been using Linux for 4 or 5 years, and one of my friends has finally agreed to try Linux, his decision come safter his discovery that cedega supports COD2 :shock: Problem is now deciding which Distro to set him up with, I thought probably Mandriva, but having used my system he wants Gentoo, Im thinking that Gentoo is definitely not a n00b friendly system, but he thinks Mandriva may be oversimplified for him, any good suggestions of other Distros I could try him on? Im thinking of trying him on Ubuntu but from what I remembe rof it it is incredibly simplified. Perhaps Xandros might do the trick? Suggestions are very welcome, Im not a very heavy gamer so I have no idea what is going to suit him best.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

RE: Distro for a newbie

Postby guy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:21 pm

By "simple" I assume you mean cut-down and hence useless.
Ubuntu is debain under the bonnet, and is reputed to be pretty good as a server as well as a desktop. It's the real beast alright.
It just looks simple due to the uncluttered GNOME desktop and the fact that things pretty much just work out-of-the-box.
Go with it.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:24 pm

Yea I figured as much, as I already said he doenst want mandriva, and as Ubuntu is quite simplified that should leave him with quite a lot of memory left for his games. I still cannot believe that his migration come sdown to one game being supported [sigh] but I suppose if he likes the game that much then it can't be helped. I'd love to help him setup a gentoo system but I do think it is just too big a step to take and might scare him off, Ive only just got him to realise that Linux isnt all CLI :shock: I dont know why people ahve that impression.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:02 am

Gentoo is OK if you do the initial installation and hardware configuration for him. Then show him how to keep it up to date, install news software etc. If he doesn't like the CLI, emerge porthole.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:34 am

I suppose actually that is not a bad idea, having said that it will mean he misses part of the learning process, although I dont suppose that will bother him too much. I will show him the options and see which one he prefers, I think the main reason he wants Gentoo is because its compiled on your system and so theoretically faster and way more stable, Im sure I will find out tomorrow at some point
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Cogar » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:43 am

Even the "easiest" distribution is a change from Windows. IMO that is change enough.

If your friend wants Gentoo because you like it, well that might work fine if you are willing to hold his hand and he is willing to invest the extra time. I consider myself a person who is looking for an alternative to Windows, rather than someone who wants to tinker with the OS, and SUSE Linux 10.0 (retail box) fit my needs very well. The setup is easy, and virtually all of the hardware worked fine out of the box. (My DSL modem had some peculiarities, which had to be compensated for.) It is also very easy to update using YaST, and it will allow you to "tinker" with it like the more "serious" distributions. If your fiend doesn't care for Gentoo, that would be another distribution to consider.
Cogar

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 am

There's also something to be said for putting the same distro as you use on your friend's box, as you are going to be his helpline for a while.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ggreaves » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:12 am

shifty_ben wrote:I suppose actually that is not a bad idea, having said that it will mean he misses part of the learning process, although I dont suppose that will bother him too much.

Exactly what is the learning process involved with installing Windows :lol: . Ubuntu hides the learning process but you can manually do it too.
ggreaves
LXF regular

Return to Discussion