Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby guy13 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:28 am

Hello all,

Any help with the following that does not mean starting from scratch would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is this : I'm trying to set up a multiboot system on my laptop which is going fine until I took the decision to install Gentoo 2005.0 from the LXF68 coverdisc. For two days everything seemed to be buzzing along just fine till I finally got to the point where you're supposed to reboot and then it all went pearshaped.

Let me first give you some details of my setup :

My box is a Toshiba Satellite 1410-604 laptop with a 30G harddisk and a Mobile Intel Celeron CPU 1.80GHz

Here's my partition table:

/dev/hda 27,9G
/dev/hda1 4,0G Fat32 Windows C
/dev/hda2 8,0G Fat32 Windows E(for shared Linux and Windows files)
/dev/hda3 512M swap
/dev/hda4 15,4G Extended
/dev/hda5 4,0G ext2 Mandriva
/dev/hda6 4,0G ext2 SuSE 9.2
/dev/hda7 2,0G ext2 Ubuntu
/dev/hda8 2,0G ext2 Gentoo 2005.0
/dev/hda9 4,0G ext3 (shared Linux files)

I'm following motub's guide for setting up multiboot systems and am now in the stage of installing the various OS's. Mandriva, SuSE and Ubuntu are all in working order and bootable from Ubuntu's bootfloppy.
However ...

I tried to follow Gentoo's install handbook to the letter but as I say, I can't reboot.

First, when I got to the point where you have to unmount and reboot, I get a message saying that /mnt/gentoo/boot wasn't mounted in the first place ànd that /mnt/gentoo can't be unmounted because the device is busy. Couldn't get the cdrom unmounted either (nor ejected) so in the end I just halted the system, took out the DVD while system was down and then tried to boot again. Unfortunately I got the next message :

Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r6'

root (hd0,7)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda8

Error 15 : File not found

Press any key to continue ...

After "pressing any key" I got a sort of contaminated screen (black with missing horizontal lines and white vertical stripes) with a barely readable grub where I could just make out "Gentoo" and "Windows". When I chose Gentoo I got the same "Booting 'Gentoo ...'" messages but now also on a contaminated screen. Windows still starts up as usual. (On the original "Booting 'Gentoo...'" screen the brackets around hd0,7 were already blurry.)

I ran through the installation disk again running the steps that I thought might solve the problem, which unfortunately they didn't. One of the things I thought might be of help was this : in the magazine you say that when compiling the kernel you can combine three code listings into one which handles copying the kernel to /boot/vmlinuz etc... and indeed the kernel was referred to as vmlinuz-2.6.11-gentoo-r6. However the handbook tells you to refer to the kernel as kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 so thinking that's why grub can't find the file I changed that and created a symlink from vmlinuz to kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6. As I said :
with no positive result, I still get the same Error 15 when I try to reboot.

grub-install didn't work so I manually configured and installed it. Maybe there's a problem with my grub.conf file, so please have a look at that :

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r6
root (hd0,7)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda8

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Since I already had three other linuxes installed I didn't create a separate /boot partition as discussed in the handbook. Maybe that's where the problem lies ? If it is, can I have a separate /boot partition for Gentoo that doesn't affect the others ?

Finally, I have configured my kernel for an i686 architecture (because it says somewhere that all modern systems should be i686. My laptop is two years old : is that modern enough?) with backwards compatibility (just in case) because I can't find what architecture I have anywhere in my documentation. However when I start up SuSE I notice that where there are multiple folders everything seems to be installed in i586 !
Should I recompile for an i586 architecture ?

Anyway, do let me know if you need more details.

Kind regards,

guy13
guy13

RE: Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:35 am

It looks like your problem may be related to the missing /boot partition. Your GRUB entry for Gentoo needs to be

Code: Select all
Title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r6
 root (hd0,7)
 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda8

The kernel image is not in the root directory of (hd0,7) it is in the boot subdirectory.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby guy13 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:51 am

That did look a bit strange to me but I think it's what the handbook said it should be. Nevertheless you solved my problem (hopefully) in 7 minutes : I'm impressed.

Now here's another question : can I just open my grub.conf file while running another OS, add the /boot, and then try to boot Gentoo or do I have to go through the install process again?
guy13

Re: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 am

guy13 wrote:That did look a bit strange to me but I think it's what the handbook said it should be.

The handbook also told you to create a separate /boot partition. What it said would have worked had you followed all the instructions.

guy13 wrote:Now here's another question : can I just open my grub.conf file while running another OS, add the /boot, and then try to boot Gentoo or do I have to go through the install process again?

Just edit it. Unlike LILO, with GRUB you just change the config file and that's it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby guy13 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:35 pm

nelz wrote:What it said would have worked had you followed all the instructions.

I stand humbly corrected.

Still, thanks a million and hope I don't have to bother you again (at least with this one) ... (o;

guy13
guy13

RE: Re: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 (LXF68) install and boot problems

Postby guy13 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi,

It's me again. Thanks to your excellent help I've got the whole gentoo thingy installed, including kde. Only, there's something wrong with my monitor and/or screen definition which I don't know how to fix (or where to look for). It's as if the desktop is many times bigger than my actual monitor and most menus in kde sort of run off the screen. (Icons are about twice as big as they're supposed to be, in text mode there's only room for 15 lines which then continue off screen, etc. etc.)

I tried comparing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to similar files in my other linux intallations and then editing it so that it looked more like those ones but that didn't work so I stuck with the file like xorgconfig wrote it, even though that seems a bit weird sometimes. E.g. this is the monitor identifier (I wasn't asked about this so I don't know where it comes from. Manually editing it was no solution.) :

Section "Monitor"

Identifier ""

After a long search I found the following lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log which seem wrong :
shouldn't it say 1024x768 (size of my monitor) in stead of 320x200 on the Virtual Size and Modeline lines ?

(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 0.1.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(II) VGA(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
(==) VGA(0): Virtual size is 320x200 (pitch 320)
(**) VGA(0): Built-in mode "Generic 320x200 default mode": 12.6 MHz (scaled from 25.2 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 70.2 Hz (VScan)
(II) VGA(0): Modeline "Generic 320x200 default mode" 12.59 320 336 384 400 200 206 207 224 vscan 2 -hsync +vsync
(==) VGA(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

If this is the solution, can you tell me where I can fix this ?

Again, thanks in advance,

guy13
guy13

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs