Nero Linux

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Nero Linux

Postby hairymunky » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:56 pm

Anyone tried it yet...?
I don't run windows at home so I dont have the Windows versio of Nero which I seemingly need to register before I can download a free copy of nero linux...!!!!
As you can't buy it from their online shop, it seems bloody pointless spending money on windows software just to get the linux version - would you get a refund if you wern't satisfied??

Bit unfair if you dont use windows. And I don't intend to give up 1 kilobyte of disk space for it either!
Ahh well, I'll be sticking to K3b for the meantime :)
(rather than spending money on a new shiny beer mat :shock: )
hairymunky

Postby zarathustra » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:33 pm

trust me stick with K3b, latest Nero's can not or rather are coded not to allow burning certain commonly used formats for P2P filesharing. I know some high and mighty twit will come on and rant about well it's illegal. So what? At least the old Nero rom gave a bloody choice, think about it if you aren't allowed to commit a crime, then you can't be upstanding by 'not' commiting what your not able to do any way!

Oh and a final point, why 'BUY' any version of Nero when, in my case every RW (CD or DVD) came with latest Nero bundled for no extra charge.

Regards zara *world is really pi$$ing me off today!*
zarathustra

Postby davecs » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:40 pm

It wouldn't be so bad if it could do some of the things that nero does in Windoze but K3B can't do (yet). But I read somewhere it's really basic and cut down so you'd probably be better off with K3B.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:53 pm

Its weird, because I use K3B and thinking that nero will release/d a version for linux is bound to get negative press....example such as ..open source not ready for nero etc etc pop up in my mind...you bet they don't meantion we have an alternative already....

I have to use nero with the media studies group at work and compared to K3B I hate it....lol!!
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:27 pm

I got an OEM version with a DVDR/RW drive, but alas you have to upgrade to the full windows version first....
Ironic they let you download demos for Win32 but to get the Linux version (guff or not) you still have to buy a windows version as well.
Ahh well, they wont win users that way!
Think I'll stick with my old trusty K3b :)

(Maybe a clonecd for linux..??? now that would be the db's!!!)
hairymunky

Postby nordle » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:15 pm

In Nero, when creating an Audio CD with CD-TEXT, the CD-TEXT defaults to the name of the audio track. This is great, as most of my tracks are named and saves me re-typing in a bunch of text.
Could someone explaint to me how to do this in K3b, as Im not sure it can be done, and its a pain having to type out all the track names again, or at least a faff with the ctrl+C and ctrl+V
Nero's not that bad, far better than the crap from roxio IMHO.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby zarathustra » Sun May 01, 2005 12:08 pm

"Nero's not that bad, far better than the crap from roxio IMHO."

I agree it's is quite good, I particularly like it's ease of use in building a Video DVD, and yes it is leaps and bounds ahead of Roxio, indeed pretty much anything else on the windows platform. My only gripe as noted above is AHEAD seem to be doing their part to control piracy over file formats, even when you install the module they ask for! I have had to resort to putting and old version of nero on a spare machine in order to burn files.

Regards Zara...
zarathustra

Postby hairymunky » Sun May 01, 2005 12:52 pm

is there any way to burn cd/dvds that have bad sectors and sub channel data, the same way as cloneCD does? Even a cmd line version like cdrecord...?
Its not something I'd say I use a lot, but someday I might need these options, and I'm not about to install another OS just to do it...
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby ryptyde » Sun May 01, 2005 6:33 pm

I have used some of Adaptec/Roxio software for six years and have been satisfied with its performance.Nero has always left me wanting as it lacks the ability to access my photo images that have been written to an "unfinalised" cd-r with my Sony camera.

Aside from Nero and Roxio a good choice would be CDBurnerXP Pro 3. PCPlus(JAN 05) had a good rundown on several disc authoring applications.

Nero was chosen as the overall leader but only edged out Roxio by a "cats whisker".
ryptyde

Return to Discussion