Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

apple airport possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubuntuBrian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

I'm dual booting ubuntu on my Apple powerbook. Networking works ok with ethernet networks but I'd like to try to use my airport base station but have found no good documentation on whether or not this is possible. Any help?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

You should be able to connect to an airport extreme base station with Linux (at least I have been able to in the past) the problem is that the airport card in your PowerBook isn't supported under Linux (at least it wasn't about 4 months ago when I tried something similar). Another problem might be that configuring an airport base station seems to require Apple's set up utility, I can't see any way of doing this from Linux.

You might have some luck if your PowerBook is old enough to have the 802.11b card rather than the airport extreme one though. Try this.
ubuntuBrian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

I don't have extreme and I prefer 'vintage TiBook' to 'old'! My airport card works fine and the base station setup is the issue. There is no way to get the 2 to communicate. I was hoping someone had come up with a hack but.... Thanks for the link!!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

As you say you are dual booting, can't you set the base station up in OSX, then use the base station for network access. Or is this the problem? Can't say it's one I've had, my airport extreme base station will happily talk to anything, even my PMA430!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

The Airport wireless card works with Linux and now has a driver in the kernel. The Airport Extreme does not, and most likely will not, have a Linux driver. Unfortunately, the cards slots are different, so you can't fit an older working card to a newer machine.
ubuntuBrian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

Again, I don't have airport extreme so that's not an issue. I have configured the base station in OS X and can use the Internet connect utility in OS X to go online in OS X. In Linux (Ubuntu) I have no way to connect to the base station (a dial-up connection). I could try connecting in OS X, reboot into Linux and see if the network is detected by Ubuntu. If the base station was a permanent, more or less, connection perhaps that wouldn't be a problem. I did find a configuration utility to set up a base station for windows and UNIX but it won't launch in Linux.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

If the base station is set up, then why do you need to set it up again? Surely all Ubuntu needs is your base stations network details and whatever password you use.
ubuntuBrian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: RE: apple airport possible? Reply with quote

The airport base is not detected as far as I can tell. There is no signal detection indicated as there always is on other networks. Perhaps this is a function of problems that I have with my Linuxant driver for my modem (which does not work). In OS X I open internet connect, click on the connect button and the modem dials and with airport on I'm connected.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: