Welcome to the new forums

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Welcome to the new forums

Postby Jonni » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

They said it would never happen, but here we are running phpBB 3.0.12.

We don't expect everything to be perfect, so please report any issues. Sorry if your posted in between yesterday afternoon and today lunchtime and your post was lost.

Plus we welcome any suggestions. We are off to lunch now. Enjoy your weekends.
Jonni

Re: Welcome to the new forums

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:45 pm

WTF!!! :shock: :shock:

So miracles do exist :shock:

:wink: :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 pm

The only trouble is that we have had an immediate flood of spammers trying to sign up :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby lok1950 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm

nelz wrote:The only trouble is that we have had an immediate flood of spammers trying to sign up :(

The darn bots are getting smarter :twisted: I average 5 spammers a day on the vegastrike forums we also have guest posting area that I have to clean every two hours or so tedious even with the moderation queue panel.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb fedora 20 Win 7 acer S243HL X193W
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Can we have the option please to adjust the skin for the board? Ta :D
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:11 am

If there any colour clues to forums which have unread posts I cannot see them.
Some of the posts are occupying only a fraction of the display space per line - may be all those in one thread.
There seems to be some primitive spell-checking which presumes US spelling - I don't like that.
I find the new colour choice to be wishy-washy - how about adjustment options?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Woop Woop! Better late than never. Good Job
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Now the new forum is 'established' ;) time for the obvious question: why did it take so long for Future to upgrade the old forum? We were told that the old forum used a tool that wasn't available for phpBB3, so has it now (and what was it) or did someone decided you no longer need that tool? :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 am

Well done with the effort to update the LXF forums. Looks good. I recall the first forum, which was later changed circa 2002?. I lost my post count, and needed to re-register IIRC. Thankfully, no such problems this time around. :) (I'm sure others could remember the finer details regarding that particular forum upgrade/rebuild.)
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 am

Doh! My memory is failing me ~2005 was the year that I was thinking of :)
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby ChrisThornett » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:31 am

Dutch_Master wrote:Now the new forum is 'established' ;) time for the obvious question: why did it take so long for Future to upgrade the old forum? We were told that the old forum used a tool that wasn't available for phpBB3, so has it now (and what was it) or did someone decided you no longer need that tool? :roll:

The team's changed a lot, and I can't tell you what the issue was. We felt updating the forums was important and probably the easiest thing to do, and Jonni has done a sterling job. The battle against spam continues and we're looking at various methods to tighten things up and if you have any suggestions, I'm sure Jonni would appreciate them. Bogus accounts are down to the one or two but anything we can do to make it tighter are welcome.

On that score, keep providing general feedback and we'll keep tweaking things when we can.

Thanks!
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks Chris (and Jonni). As a phpBB3 forum-owner myself, I had to enable the captcha but also the Q&A section: a new user is asked a related question* and has to answer correctly to be allowed to register. The questions are easily answered with a quick google query, but it also helps my forum is in a non-English language ;) It reduced the amount of spammers signing up to virtually none (from 20+ a day :shock: ). I do have to activate new accounts by hand and as a bonus of the non-English forum I have, I can filter on ISP: if it's Dutch, it's most likely genuine, foreign ISP's are suspicious. Could still be genuine, depends on how the rest of the registration looks like (email address, time of registering, et all). I appreciate Future may not have that luxury though ;) And I have the first posts of a new user moderated, just in case one does get through registration. (who would be banned immediately)

HTH!

*you can add as many challenge questions as you'd like and the system rotates through them. This prevents human spam-bots from obtaining the single required correct answer, which would make the Q&A obsolete. I have about 11 questions to choose from and a max. of 5 registration attempts ;) The hardest part is coming up with sufficiently strong questions that relate to the subject, but easy enough to find with a quick search for a genuinely interested prospective member.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks Chris (and Jonni). As a phpBB3 forum-owner myself, I had to enable the captcha but also the Q&A section: a new user is asked a related question* and has to answer correctly to be allowed to register. The questions are easily answered with a quick google query, but it also helps my forum is in a non-English language ;) It reduced the amount of spammers signing up to virtually none (from 20+ a day :shock: ).

Sadly, we've had to implement a CAPTCHA system as part of the registration process over at openSUSE Forums as well. But as a mod there, I can tell you that it has significantly reduced our volume of spam we had to deal with, (especially where bots are concerned).
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby guy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am

The old forum used to stop highlighting a new and unread topic once it was no longer new, even if I had not read it. Now I have to click "Mark topics as read" every effing time. Can the old magic be rediscovered?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

View unread posts works for me. There's a difference between unread posts and new posts, I don't know what it is but it's there.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to This Website