Ubuntu 12.04 Downloading problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 12.04 Downloading problem

Postby catgate » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Suddenly Mozilla's downloading ability has vanished.
Is this widespread or is it just within the confines of my box?
The appropriate icons have disappeared from the top right of the page.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Downloading problem

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 pm

catgate wrote:Suddenly Mozilla's downloading ability has vanished.
Is this widespread or is it just within the confines of my box?

I think it's just you.

The appropriate icons have disappeared from the top right of the page.

Really? Please elucidate.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 am

What version of FF are you using?
Since version 29 the GUI has changes quite a bit, not to many people's pleasure, as the so called Australis GUI was used as default by mozilla.
To overcome that, if you also don't like it, get the classic-theme-restorer add-on.
I'm not sure about the download icons you talk about either so will look out for your answer to Rhakios.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Really? Please elucidate.

Elucidation :-

On the fifth line down of the screen is the “Address bar” , wherein, by one means or another, we contrive to place our desired destination. In the same line is the box which in my case gives Google as my preferred search engine. Following on, to the left of that, is a series of icons. The first is a blue five pointed star that is connected with editing the bookmarks , which appear when the second icon is clicked. The third is the black silhouette of a house (home) which does nothing. Next comes the adblock plus (white initials inside a red octagon on a white rectangular flag. This is followed by a black downward pointing triangle that brings up the same adblock info as the previous red octagon. The final one is made up of three black horizontal lines and this brings up a panel containing mishmash of icons including “preferences” and “add-ons”.

I have just fired up my other standby machine and have now realised that an entire “line” is missing from the Firefox start up on my main machine. It is the line consisting of File, Edit, View, History, Bookmark, Tools, Help.

I think you are right ....it must be me!!!
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 pm

catgate wrote:I have just fired up my other standby machine and have now realised that an entire “line” is missing from the Firefox start up on my main machine. It is the line consisting of File, Edit, View, History, Bookmark, Tools, Help.

I think you are right ....it must be me!!!

Right click anywhere next to the tabs at the top and the click on Menu Bar and the File, etc menus will reappear.

Incidentally, when I said the bit about elucidating, I meant about what you thought should be there, not what is there now.

If you are missing the download arrow that used to have a tool tip saying "Display the progress of ongoing downloads", then click on those three horizontal bars, go to the bottom of the mishmash and click on Customise, then you should be able to drag an arrow called Downloads to your preferred location on the tool bar, then click on Exit customise.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby catgate » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Thank you for that Rhakios.

I am starting to keep a directory called "Rhakiosrescues". I shall probably forgot where I filed it!!!
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!