Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8 why you such a pain!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nelz. Thatís useful. It sounds as if I start investigating Asus models I may be in luck then.

I too am no lover of touch screens. I recently bought a budget smartphone because I felt there was a gap in my knowledge in this particular area - apps, Android, etc - which needed to be addressed, but I hate the way the screen is permanently covered in fingermarks. Being so unused to it, I also find the touch technique a little difficult at the moment. I am always touching things I donít mean to, and trying to navigate web pages on it is an absolute nightmare compared with a computer!
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebuyer are selling a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed
RichAustin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Windows 8 / 8.1 for about 2 years now alongside various Linux distro's including Arch and Ubuntu. It works perfectly. I can only assume that your issue is to do with UEFI which you should be able to disable in the BIOS.

One of the best places to look for any sort of technical solutions, regardless of which distro you use, is the Arch Wiki. There is an article on Linux and UEFI here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Windows_and_Arch_Dual_Boot

I don't have a UEFI system myself so can't say exactly how to dual boot. It most definitely is possible though, and I seem to recall LXFormat ran an article on it about a year ago or so?
GregS

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
It's an Asus Vivobook S202, about a year old. It's a Windows 8 release because it has a touch screen, not that I use it like that - my phone screen has more than enough finger marks already.

My wife is running an Asus (Tai Chi) touchscreen. it took a lot of stuffing around, including disabling fastboot and all the other 'secure' functions in UEFI, but we eventually installed Fedora 18 (UEFI mode of course) alongside 8-ball. Now updated to F20, it is running as the primary OS, the other one only being used for those functions absolutely requiring it (anyone had any luck with iPods on Linux?)

Mr Google was invoked often!

ALL(!) that is required of her is to get into what I can only equate to the BIOS at boot to select which OS is to boot as primary, because I'm damned if I can get any other way to work. There is NO WAY to interactively select OS on boot-up. Evil or Very Mad
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, you press Esc at boot time to select the device or EFI object to boot from.
GregS

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
On mine, you press Esc at boot time to select the device or EFI object to boot from.

Not so on hers, for some reason(?).

Brute force is the only option... Rolling Eyes
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregS wrote:
Brute force is the only option... Rolling Eyes

It's comforting that there are still some things in life you can rely on Smile
MadTux

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say, on my wonderful new ThinkPad T440 Ubuntu 14.04 installed perfectly over Windows 8, with uefi.

The challenge will be to
1. take the laptop apart to install an SSD, and
2. install Arch on it Twisted Evil
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 and 2 are relatively straightforward, but you missed out the difficult step in between - putting the laptop back together again with no bits left over :-O
linux_dan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello one and all,

I am please say I am replying to my original thread from UBUNTU 14.4 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . I am back!!

Thanks to this rather simply guide

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/install-ubuntu-1404-alongside-windows.html

Dan
MadTux

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That looks rather complicated. It's interesting how Win8's rather impressive boot time changes when you disable that fast boot stuff.

That reminds me, when I wanted to sell the Windoze 8 license from my laptop to a friend, I learnt that the laptop stores it in the BIOS, encrypted, with no way to get to the number. Shocked
penguinclaw

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a laptop (well unless you count my lovely Eeepc 4G surf!) and my motherboard is pre-uefi, but I have never had any issues dual booting with Windows 8. I believe that most of the big Distros have UEFI keys that make dual booting in secure mode possible. However I obviously have no experience with this. I would be interested to know whether this is the case as I will need to do a system upgrade later this year.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 why you such a pain! Reply with quote

linux_dan wrote:
Hey,

>> So it looks like my love affair with Linux has come to end! Sad Sad

>> I brought a shiny new Dell with Windows 8.1 Update 1 boy >> >> what a mistake!

I will give you ten UK pounds for it.... Take it off your hands, do you a favour, for recycling..... Wink Windows 8 is by definition a pita... It's because it's owned by some not very nice people called Microsoft. They are tyrants. Our way is the only way; you will conform. I say; ''NO!''

Dan

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 why you such a pain! Reply with quote

Why not buy a usb harddrive and install 64bit Windows 7 on it? That would work?

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: