Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User list on Login screeen.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnp

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: User list on Login screeen. Reply with quote

I am not sure that thi will be a new topic - I suspect not. My apologies in advance if the question has been asked and answered a zillion times before.

Anyway, I have just installed Mint 16 with the Cinnamon desktop. Great but when the machine boots it presents a list of users on the login screen. I have never been a fan of this and prefer the login screen which asks for a username and then a password. I know that I found a solution to this on an earlier version of Mint, and I think it was Chris Brown in his Administeria column who provided it. I have searched the back copies I have of the magazine, searched on here, searched on the Mint forums and googled but I cannot find a solution that I understand well enough to try.

Can anyone help? Just knowing which issue of the magazine had Chris Brown's article would be enough. This time I would keep a copy Very Happy

Thanks

John Paton
MadTux

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I used Mint, but I think you can go to System Settings --> Login Screen/Window/Something and then pick other themes and mess around. (There might be an option not to show a user list, there are certainly other themes (with no list) to choose from.)
arochester

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/tips-and-tricks-linux-mint-after-installation-mint-13-maya-mate-edition.htm

Scroll down to: Change a Login Screen and Theme
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest option is to run
Code:
sudo mdmsetup

and pick a different theme, one that doesn't use the "face browser". You can also disable listing usernames in the face browser, but then you get a password prompt with no way to enter a username until after you give an invalid password.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: