User list on Login screeen.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

User list on Login screeen.

Postby johnp » Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 pm

I am not sure that thi will be a new topic - I suspect not. My apologies in advance if the question has been asked and answered a zillion times before.

Anyway, I have just installed Mint 16 with the Cinnamon desktop. Great but when the machine boots it presents a list of users on the login screen. I have never been a fan of this and prefer the login screen which asks for a username and then a password. I know that I found a solution to this on an earlier version of Mint, and I think it was Chris Brown in his Administeria column who provided it. I have searched the back copies I have of the magazine, searched on here, searched on the Mint forums and googled but I cannot find a solution that I understand well enough to try.

Can anyone help? Just knowing which issue of the magazine had Chris Brown's article would be enough. This time I would keep a copy :D

Thanks

John Paton
johnp

Postby MadTux » Mon May 26, 2014 4:18 pm

It's been a while since I used Mint, but I think you can go to System Settings --> Login Screen/Window/Something and then pick other themes and mess around. (There might be an option not to show a user list, there are certainly other themes (with no list) to choose from.)
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Postby arochester » Mon May 26, 2014 8:54 pm

You might look here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... dition.htm

Scroll down to: Change a Login Screen and Theme
arochester

Postby nelz » Tue May 27, 2014 10:14 am

The simplest option is to run
Code: Select all
sudo mdmsetup

and pick a different theme, one that doesn't use the "face browser". You can also disable listing usernames in the face browser, but then you get a password prompt with no way to enter a username until after you give an invalid password.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!