Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cover disk what to expect? [Answered]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilky

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: cover disk what to expect? [Answered] Reply with quote

Folks, I recently moved from m$ to Linux Mint 13 lts and am enjoying it. But to the point, I purchased LXF March 2014 and was looking forward to some of the stuff on the disk, but when I start the disk up nothing happens.

So my question is what am I to expect, lets say in a winblows environment a pc magazine cover disk fires up in a browser etc. Index.html does nothing.
I have tried using mint15 and nope and I even tried win7 and It opened files and folders but it took suuuuuuch a lllooooooong time.

Same thing applies to another linux magazine cover disk as well so I am assuming it doesn't like the mint system??

Any ideas?

Cheers
Wilky
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD does have an autorun script to fire up a browser when the disc is mounted, but most distros and desktops have this disabled as a security risk. Just load the index.html file into a browser to see the contents of the DVD.

Aside from the reference materials and documentation, the material on the disc cannot be run as a program straight from the disc, it needs to be installed first, most programs have installation instructions with them in the form of a README file.

The distros do run straight from the DVD but need to be booted. If you boot your computer from the DVD - there is usually a key to press to get a menu to decide whether to boot from hard disc, DVD or USB - you will see a menu where you can choose which distro to try. These run a full desktop environment straight from the DVD, without installing to your hard drive, so you can try out the various alternatives.
caineunholy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Disk no good! Reply with quote

I got the your magazine just for this disk.
I try'd it on 3 computers and only on one could I get it to open the program on the disk.

I did a instal and it said bad grub do it manually.
so I use the web to find out how.
and when I try to open a terminal, it crashes that program.
any program I try crashes!
I never got to run it from the hard drive, just DVD.

I down load it and it is just the same.
so the sours disk must be bad. not just yours!
This is Very bad for the people who are coming off XP!
any chance you can find out whats happening
and let us know?

p.s. 64 dual core 2ghz 2 gb ram
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which disc?
Which distro?

We need to know exactly what you are having trouble with before we can think about what may be causing the trouble. If you can post exact error messages, that would help even more.
caineunholy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

it is from the magazine "Linux format"
??? june 2014 its on the news stands now.
DVD says,
"MINT 16 Mega Mix" LXF184
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can tell us exactly what you did and exactly what happened we have a chance of helping. Bear in mind that we know absolutely nothing about your problem except what you tell us, so tell us lots.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Disk no good! Reply with quote

caineunholy wrote:

Do you not intend to read the magazine? Let me tell you, you are going to be missing out heaps.

<Look away team LXF> Don't tell anyone else but my subscription was up for renewal recently. I thought I would wait awhile and see what other Linux mags where out there. I didn't like the new fork of Linux Format, terrible layout, looks more like a free community mag and filled with reruns of LXF articles. So I bought a copy of Linux User and Developer. You'll never guess what. They only went and used a Mac for some of there screen shots Laughing . (Hello it's a Linux mag) and they don't have a forum. So I have happily renewed my sub for another year for the best, most informative Linux mag ever....<OK team LXF you can look again now>

I remember the first LXF mag I picked up. It was like reading a foreign language. Stick with it and you'll be surprised how much sticks. If there is something you don't understand just ask here.

As long as you provide plenty of information about your problem/question, you will get an answer from this forum. It is filled with some very friendly and knowledgeable penguins. I know they have helped me out heaps.

PP

PS. Welcome to the forum and future of computing.

Firefox 29 wont let me move the Reload and Back buttons. It's my computer Mozilla not yours.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should realise that Linux is not just a free version of Windows, it is very different, and you will have to "unlearn" a lot of Windows habits.

However, stick at it, it will be worth it in the end!

Mint is only one of many versions, and I have had problems with it in the past on some hardware, so it might be worth trying another version like Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

or Xubuntu, which is more like Windows.

http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

ChrisThornett
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Disk no good! Reply with quote

purplepenguin wrote:
caineunholy wrote:

Do you not intend to read the magazine? Let me tell you, you are going to be missing out heaps.

<Look away team LXF> Don't tell anyone else but my subscription was up for renewal recently. I thought I would wait awhile and see what other Linux mags where out there. I didn't like the new fork of Linux Format, terrible layout, looks more like a free community mag and filled with reruns of LXF articles. So I bought a copy of Linux User and Developer. You'll never guess what. They only went and used a Mac for some of there screen shots Laughing . (Hello it's a Linux mag) and they don't have a forum. So I have happily renewed my sub for another year for the best, most informative Linux mag ever....<OK team LXF you can look again now>

I remember the first LXF mag I picked up. It was like reading a foreign language. Stick with it and you'll be surprised how much sticks. If there is something you don't understand just ask here.

As long as you provide plenty of information about your problem/question, you will get an answer from this forum. It is filled with some very friendly and knowledgeable penguins. I know they have helped me out heaps.

PP

PS. Welcome to the forum and future of computing.

I peeked. Sorry. They are looking for a new ed which might explain (but not excuse) the use of Mac images.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: