Replace Firefox 29 with 28 or earlier

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Replace Firefox 29 with 28 or earlier

Postby heiowge » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm sick of every time I upgrade Firefox, it's worse than before. Things I want to change back I can't.

Take the tabs bar for instance. I like it under the address bar. On the bottom. Below the bookmarks toolbar.

First they made it always visible. Now I have to use an add-on to hide it when I only have one tab open. Having it show all the time is a pain in the hole. Especially on my netbook, where space is premium.

Then they moved the bar to the top, like on chrome. I don't like it. So I moved it back with the "tabs on top" checkbox. Then they removed the checkbox.

So I changed it with about:config. Then they removed that option. Then I used an add-on. Now they don't work with FF 29.

So I'm sick of it. I either want to roll back to 28 or earlier for good, or switch browsers.

Has anyone thought of forking Firefox to stop them breaking things?

Can anyone offer advice other than "suck it up, it'll get better"? Well I did and it hasn't.

Sorry, rant over. Can anyone help? :)
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7


HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
User avatar
heiowge
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Postby roseway » Thu May 01, 2014 6:39 am

I'm totally with you on exactly the same points. There's also the missing status bar at the bottom, which very usefully displays the URL of a link when you hover the mouse over it. Up to v28 this could be restored with the Status-4-Evar addon, but it's gone in v29. Image
Eric
roseway
LXF regular
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Postby towy71 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 am

roseway wrote:I'm totally with you on exactly the same points. There's also the missing status bar at the bottom, which very usefully displays the URL of a link when you hover the mouse over it. Up to v28 this could be restored with the Status-4-Evar addon, but it's gone in v29. Image
love the gif Image
still looking for that door into summer
User avatar
towy71
Moderator
 
Posts: 4276
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: wild West Wales

Postby ajgreeny » Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am

Get the Classic-Theme-Restorer for FF29 and it will be back almost to what it was before; not quite the same, but almost.
Last edited by ajgreeny on Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.

Postby ferrari » Fri May 02, 2014 7:50 am

That's good to know :)
ferrari
LXF regular
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 am

Postby Fíona » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I read your post and then sleepwalked into automatically updating ff28 to 29. It's irritating having to discover where they put the preferences menu, etc. Worst of all my forecastfox addon is no longer compatible!
I uninstalled ff29 and am looking at how to reinstall ff28. In the meantime I'm using midori on that machine.
I hope that this page, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... efox-linux is going to help.
Fíona
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby ajgreeny » Fri May 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Fíona wrote:I read your post and then sleepwalked into automatically updating ff28 to 29. It's irritating having to discover where they put the preferences menu, etc. Worst of all my forecastfox addon is no longer compatible!
I uninstalled ff29 and am looking at how to reinstall ff28. In the meantime I'm using midori on that machine.
I hope that this page, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... efox-linux is going to help.

I can't help with the forecastfox addon, but for everything else see my post back a couple of places and get the Classic-Theme-Restorer; https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erestorer/ that gets just about everything else back where it was, and I imagine the weather addon will be updated very soon; it looks as if there was an update but it was a bit unstable so has gone for now, but I imagine it will be back.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.

Postby Fíona » Fri May 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for your comment ajgreeny; I actually installed the classicthemerestorer on top of ff29. I found an update for forecastfox https://static.getforecastfox.com/downl ... latest.xpi and that seems to work although firefox crashes sometimes when starting up.
Fíona
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Replace Firefox 29 with 28 or earlier

Postby catgate » Fri May 02, 2014 9:49 pm

heiowge wrote:I'm sick of every time I upgrade Firefox, it's worse than before. Things I want to change back I can't.

Take the tabs bar for instance. I like it under the address bar. On the bottom. Below the bookmarks toolbar.

First they made it always visible. Now I have to use an add-on to hide it when I only have one tab open. Having it show all the time is a pain in the hole. Especially on my netbook, where space is premium.

Then they moved the bar to the top, like on chrome. I don't like it. So I moved it back with the "tabs on top" checkbox. Then they removed the checkbox.
So I changed it with about:config. Then they removed that option. Then I used an add-on. Now they don't work with FF 29.

)


I agree with you totally. It appears to be a case of "we're doing it because we can".

That having been said It reminds me of an incident in a management meeting many years ago when one of the departmental managers put forwards a scheme that he was going to introduce. It was a foolish thing he was proposing and fortunately I had the authority to prohibit it. So after I had said that I would do so, should he go any further, he made a most memorable little speech and said, "You must remember, not every improvement is necessarily for the better."

Looks like he was not the only one with a warped reasoning faculty!
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:45 pm
Location: Just over there, in that corner.

Postby guy » Sat May 03, 2014 9:19 am

I wonder if any of the developers working on ****ing up Firefox are the same ones who ****ed up GNOME 3?

In the race to compete with iOS for the Mobile ego trip, the GNU/Linux developer community seems to have forgotten that the comfortably productive desktop is not going to go away. Apple keep MacOS distinct from iOS for good reason, and Google's dreams of merging Android with ChromeOS thankfully remain just that - dreams.

Now it seems we can add Mozilla to the Mozilla/GNU/Linux ego trippers. H'mm, Firefork or Forkfox anybody? Or maybe Firefox Mint? ;)
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
User avatar
guy
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Postby heiowge » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 am

guy wrote:H'mm, Firefork or Forkfox anybody? Or maybe Firefox Mint? ;)


I hinted at something similar on the Mint forums and nearly got my head torn off by Admin. With MATE and NEMO and Cinnamon, maybe they're forking busy! 8)
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7


HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
User avatar
heiowge
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Postby purplepenguin » Sun May 04, 2014 8:49 am

ajgreeny wrote:Get the Classic-Theme-Restorer for FF29 and it will be back almost to what it was before; not quite the same, but almost.


Thanks for the tip. I still cannot move the reload and back buttons they seem to be part of the url box now. Suppose I could always roll back to Iceweasel.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Blissfully at the Command Line

Postby guy » Sun May 04, 2014 12:32 pm

heiowge wrote:
guy wrote:H'mm, Firefork or Forkfox anybody? Or maybe Firefox Mint? ;)


I hinted at something similar on the Mint forums and nearly got my head torn off by Admin. With MATE and NEMO and Cinnamon, maybe they're forking busy! 8)


Maybe that Admin. just got confused between Forkfork and Borkbork.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
User avatar
guy
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Postby ajgreeny » Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm

purplepenguin wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:Get the Classic-Theme-Restorer for FF29 and it will be back almost to what it was before; not quite the same, but almost.


Thanks for the tip. I still cannot move the reload and back buttons they seem to be part of the url box now. Suppose I could always roll back to Iceweasel.
I have managed easily to add in the forwards/backwards and reload buttons to my normal toolbar, but you will need to go to the CTR preferences in Tools menu to enable Movable back-forward button before that can be done.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.


Return to Help!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 0 guests