MP3 player

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MP3 player

Postby catgate » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 am

Mrs Catgate has sleeping problems (she claims it is caused by being married to me). So we bought some CDs, that were claimed to help getting to sleep, with the soothing music/sounds recorded thereon, and a pocket (underpillow) MP3 player with earphones.
These CDs were converted to MP3 format and loaded onto the MP3 player, and they seemed to help the matter.
There was a slight problem though in that these files appeared on the MP3 player screen not with the filenames we gave them but as the filename that identifed them on the original CD.
I then realised that, due to the world's subservience to one William Gates, the MP3 player would probably be entirely indifferent to anything generated on anything other than a Windows machine.
So...can someone please suggest how I get around this problem?
My suggestion "Just use the original filename" was a way instantly rejected by "management".
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I just made sure I bought an mp3 player that had an option for MSC mode (Mass Storage Class), which basically means the mp3 player works as a flash drive.

If yours has that, you might find it works better that way.

I use a Sandisk Sansa Clip+, btw. It's the best mp3 player I've ever owned. :D
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Use Easytag to remove the names in the ID3 tags of the files, or to set them to whatever you prefer. Players generally default to using these in preference to the file names.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby catgate » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Thank you heiowge and nelz.
I must now go and see if I can a) understand how heiowge's advice helps and b) find Easytag and see how it works.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!