Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Tuner in Toshiba Satellite P870 - Yuan MC782ML/PD782S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: TV Tuner in Toshiba Satellite P870 - Yuan MC782ML/PD782S Reply with quote

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite P870 PSPLBA-02700S which is a 17" Notebook which includes an inbuilt TV Tuner and comes supplied with WIndows 7 64 bit installed. The TV Tuner (Yuan MC782ML-PD782S) does work in Windows 7 and from what I have read now also works with Windows 8 but didn't even do that until relatively recently. I contacted Yuan in past couple of days and they have replied saying they do not produce a Linux driver for this Tuner.

I am running Ubuntu on my Notebook but at this point in time only as a Dual Boot Notebook owing to trouble in getting TV Tuner to work in Linux. Does anyone know of a workaround please. I have found the notebook seems to work very well with Ubuntu in all other aspects but the Tuner and much prefer Kaffeine to Microsoft's offering of Media Centre. I do not like running Windows OS as I have been using Linux since 2003 and would much prefer to have a totally Linux setup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

...Phil
oldpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the current state of these projects:

1) XawTV - might support alternate turners

2) tvtime - might support alternate turners, also.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Yuan_MPC_788_Hybrid_Mini-PCI

purplepenguin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use the Windows driver is Wine? Or could you use the TV tuner in a Win VM?

Firefox 29 wont let me move the Reload and Back buttons. It's my computer Mozilla not yours.
hilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responses fellow Penguins and Coyote Smile I am just in the process of endeavouring to try messing about with the Windows driver to see if I can do anything with it and if I do have any success I will post back here so that others will know. Judging by lack of anyone else showing success to date I don't hold out a lot of hope.

On the idea of using Win VM - alas no it didn't work. That was one of my early trys - anything to enable me to get rid of the dual boot option - it annoys the heck out of me.

I haven't looked at XawTV etc just yet but will do so and see if there is any luck. I will definitely give that other Yuan driver a go although again not really confident going by the response I got from Yuan themselves. They just don't seem to care.

As for Toshiba - don't think I will be anymore of there PC related products. Support is in name only unless $$$ change hands from what I can see. Can't even find a link to email them without paying first?

Thanks guys for the pointers - much appreciated. As I said above if I have any luck with anything I will post results.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally ignorant about these tuner topics, but see TVHeadEnd mentioned often in RaspBerry Pi and XBMC circles.
A quick look might tell you more of use.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: