Is Linux Format nearing it's end [ANSWERED: No it isn't]

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is Linux Format nearing it's end [ANSWERED: No it isn't]

Postby linux_dan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello,

Is the end near for Linux Format?

I fear the worse as I seen the signs with so many other magazines.

First the paper changes to a thicker grade - then the page count drops slowly.

Now the letter page has dropped from four to two.

I hope not!

Dan
linux_dan

Postby ChrisThornett » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Hey Dan,

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: I wouldn't start worrying yet. Rather than quote Mark Twain, I'll steal Granny Weatherwax's sign instead and wave "I Aten't Dead" under your nose.

The fact is more people are reading it, and that tends to be the main indicator of whether a mag is about to die or not.

In regard to the letters pages dropping to two, well, we did that for an issue to squeeze another feature into the magazine.

Thanks,

Chris
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby neilmohr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Linux_dan, just to allay your fears somewhat the letters page in issue 181 was cut from four to two pages to enable us to squeeze in a fourth feature. We're going to run with three pages for a while to help add more tutorial space. As it is, sales are stronger now than a year ago, so the magazine remains perfectly healthy!
neilmohr
Site admin

Postby BluePenguin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:50 pm

If the magazine is doing so well, when will the removed pages be put pack into the magazine? And why is LXF reprinting old content from other magazines?

Doesn't add up to me...
BluePenguin

Postby neilmohr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 pm

A user recently joins and makes three negative posts about the magazine and website. Doesn't add up to me... Anyway, Bluepenguin, I'm not expecting to change your opinion, but the magazine is doing pretty healthily thanks to our loyal readership and the increasing popularity of GNU/Linux through the Pi and in general. Perhaps we could be happy about that?
neilmohr
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

neilmohr wrote:A user recently joins and makes three negative posts about the magazine and website. Doesn't add up to me...

Really? I thought that having a good moan was the most obvious motive for signing up. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Speak for yourself...
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 pm

neilmohr wrote:the letters page in issue 181 was cut from four to two pages to enable us to squeeze in a fourth feature. We're going to run with three pages for a while to help add more tutorial space

Sounds good to me. +1 for more tutorials / fun features. -1 for boring letters.

PS. I for one am getting rather bored with all these "are LXF dead" posts. It's been discussed several times now. The truth is only time will tell. :D :D
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 pm

purplepenguin wrote: -1 for boring letters.

Boring? :shock:

Surely not. LXF readers never write boring letters. I love reading the views and various likes/dislikes of fellow Linuxers and gaining an insight into their personalities.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 pm

I've let my sub lapse as the publisher pretty much consistently managed to get my copy in the letterbox about a week after the same issue went on sale in my country :roll: It so happened this lapsing coincided with the editorial changes. I'm sure the new team will do a great job, but they've been let down by the publishers (who've been let down by their delivery contractors. Not surprised really, given that they only employ underpaid part-time staff to deliver the mail, "at a time it suits you" (that is, the mail-man/woman, not the customer :roll: ))

Only the sun rises for free, for all of the rest, you're charged :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Marrea wrote:
Boring? :shock:

I love reading the views and various likes/dislikes of fellow Linuxers and gaining an insight into their personalities.

That's what the forum is for...

I don't have anything against the letters pages. But I'd be happy if they reduced them or chopped it out completely if it means we can have more tutorials, reviews, features etc.

Surely nobody buys the mag for the letters pages...
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 pm

purplepenguin wrote:I don't have anything against the letters pages. But I'd be happy if they reduced them or chopped it out completely if it means we can have more tutorials, reviews, features etc.

Surely nobody buys the mag for the letters pages...

No, but they love to print those, "Your magazine is wonderful, it's changed my life! Really!" (subtext: make mine the star letter and send me a freebie, pleeease!) letters that make the staff feel better and rest of us cringe.

Or perhaps I've become cynical over the years...

... yes that's it, it must be. The magazine is wonderful and has changed my life.

P.S. Now where's my freebie?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 am

neilmohr wrote: We're going to run with three pages for a while to help add more tutorial space.

Rhakois. It would seem the new editor is immune to such smoke blowing. Or perhaps people aren't declaring enough love in their letters. As he is already going to cut one of the pages.

Keep up the good work Neilmohr, You are the best editor of all time. The magazine has changed my life, I'm free from the digital handcuffs of the Windows police thanks to your excellent magazine. Now where is my freebie? :lol: :lol:

(PS. no sarcasm intended.)

purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:01 pm

purplepenguin wrote:Surely nobody buys the mag for the letters pages...

No, of course people don't buy the mag for the letters page alone. That would be ridiculous, but surely it must be helpful to the editorial staff to discover whether their readers find the articles they are publishing useful or not. (I'm not sure that everyone who buys LXF is necessarily also a member of this Forum and therefore a conventional letter or email may be their preferred method of expressing their views.) I can't think of many magazines I buy which don't have a letters page.

Rhakios wrote:No, but they love to print those, "Your magazine is wonderful, it's changed my life! Really!" (subtext: make mine the star letter and send me a freebie, pleeease!) letters that make the staff feel better and rest of us cringe.

Or perhaps I've become cynical over the years...

Rhakios I think indeed you have, as I have too - it comes to us all with age! :wink:. But the vast majority of letters surely are not couched in sychophantic terms. I've just been looking at Mailserver in LXF180 and only the "Praise!" letter by Chris Wood falls into this category.

Just as you can never get two Linux users to agree on the best distro so there will always be differing opinions on the right balance of articles to include in the magazine.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 pm

I like the letters page. Maybe one day I'll get something I write on there.

I've had 4 or 5 Q&As in the mag (3 as star questions) over the years, but never made it to the magnificent letters page. Long may it live! :D
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs