How to create a secure password

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How to create a secure password

Postby guy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 pm

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... 938&type=1
(contains swearing)

P.S. Sorry about the crap PHP handling of Facebook url.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm

How many times have we all been there. The irony being the end result is a very strong password :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 am

purplepenguin wrote:the end result is a very strong password

Strong language maybe, but if it has already been used then it is not strong in the security sense. :P
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 am

True :)

I was referring to the length of the password.

According to GRC's password calculator a brute force attach at 1000 guesses per second would take 9.04 hundred million trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries.

Count of all possible passwords with this alphabet size and up to this password's length = 2.84 x 10^177

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm

purplepenguin wrote:True :)

According to GRC's password calculator a brute force attach at 1000 guesses per second would take 9.04 hundred million trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries.

That's a pretty big number, I wonder if doing a word scan of the whole Internet and then doing a dictionary attack based on that list would be quicker?
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby oldpenguin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:50 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:
purplepenguin wrote: would take 9.04 hundred million trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries.

Then why on earth am I seeing the same type of trashing going on here as I did at the Damnsmall forum?

Geeze! From zero to 50 cookies in 2 clicks.

Use a book! pickout a nice 4 or 5 letter word, note the page number, then choose a different page and do it again. Add a few capitals. stick those numbers in it, and there you go. Now, write is down somewhere.

WHo the heck stuck a key logger on me? geeeeeze.
oldpenguin

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:09 pm

oldpenguin wrote:Use a book! pickout a nice 4 or 5 letter word, note the page number, then choose a different page and do it again. Add a few capitals. stick those numbers in it, and there you go. Now, write is down somewhere..

Book? Is that the same as an epub?. Would a txt file do?

Code: Select all
shuf ~/bin/1000.txt | head -n6 | tr aeiou AEI0U

Works well for me.

purplepenguin
LXF regular

Return to Discussion