Batch download

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Batch download

Postby MadTux » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I wanted to batch download all the nice PDFs for subscribers, but of course, I can't just wget them, since I have to log in. Does anyone know some way to let me download them with standard UNIX tools?
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I downloaded them all when Old Team LXF dropped their bombshell. Just in case the mag got cancelled. It took me about an hour once I got into the rhythm.

Maybe New Team LXF could make them available to download as an archive for the subscribers. I realise there are new PDFs every month, so maybe a new archive could be made available every three to six months?
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby mengoshmink » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I haven't done this but I have found an easier way.

Install DownThemAll! for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... wnthemall/)

Login to the subscribers area.

Click http://www.linuxformat.com/archives&listpdfs=1 to see all available PDFs.

Configure the DownloadThemAll! add-on preferences so it doesn't too aggressively download from the server.

Right click and select "DownThemAll!..."

Wait while all the links are processed.

When the "DownThemAll! - Make Your Selection" window appears select "Links". In the top left.

In the same window select the check box "Documents (pdf, odf, ...)". Middle bottom.

In the same window click "Start!"

Patiently wait while they download.
Sharing knowledge is the best way to learn.
mengoshmink

Postby MadTux » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Cool! thanks
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Return to Help!