Bios probs; won't boot up without external vga connected.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Bios probs; won't boot up without external vga connected.

Postby Alex01UK » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:12 am

Hi folks, hope you are all well. Right then, have got a right weird issue I could use a little help with.

Laptop, as in sig, standard ie I've not updated the bios. I've never updated a bios on any machine ever come to think of it!

Normally, in my front room, I have my laptop plugged into an external vga monitor, and everything is lovely. Boots up boot menu giving 'buntu with low latency kernel, 'bunt with standard kernel, memory things and Windows 7, and everything is lovely.

The problem, is that this menu is on the vga screen, so when I am out, I cannot do anything with the laptop, They only way I can get booted up is by booting off my usb hard drive, which is not ideal!

So, it must be a bios setting to fix this, but there doesn't seem to be any..... Have tried resetting to defaults etc but to no joy.

tiia, aha, 73's & '88's from Alex.
--
Alex Armani PM
Www.Armani.PM
tB.xx
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 am

How did you get it to use the external display in the first place? It should boot into Win7 on the internal monitor, if that was what was installed when you got it.

I'd look at the top row of keys, as this is where the switch between displays often is (symbols in blue?), often with a special function shift key on the left side. My Acer Aspire One doesn't have a special function key, but does have display related symbols on F5 F6 - usually have to read the manual to work out how to use them.

Another place to look is in the command line parameters used to boot Ubuntu.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am

Alex explain your problem better. what do you mean when your out?

Laptop boots up to the grub screen and is giving you a choice of OS to boot into... so what is your problem?

At what point are you using the usb hard drive, when getting home ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Ram wrote:Alex explain your problem better. what do you mean when your out?

Laptop boots up to the grub screen and is giving you a choice of OS to boot into... so what is your problem?

At what point are you using the usb hard drive, when getting home ?

When I am out out, ie when I take my laptop round to a friends or something, ie when it is not connected to an external vga monitor, it's booting to the grub screen, but for some reason the grub screen is being displayed on the external screen and the laptop screen is blank. My Linux partition as a few issues at the mo so is booting to a command prompt - rootshell but cannot see anything.

If I put my usb gig stick in, and reboot the laptop it works, but then I am running a live session of Ubuntu Studio 64 bit 12.10 which is not ideal. Also my usb stick is now not working at the mo now so big probs here!!! Life shouldn't be this difficult!!!!!
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Press your and hold down your function key, then press f4 ( should have a picture looking like a monitor )

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Help!