Lack of posts

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Lack of posts

Postby dhester » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Is this site in decline?

There used to be a fair amount of activity but now days go by without posts. When there are they are usually in the off topic section.

As I write this the help section was last posted in over 30 hours ago, the hardware and programming sections last saw activity over a month ago.

Linux seams to be getting more popular but not these forums, are there other forums people use?
dhester

Postby lok1950 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 pm

It maybe that our regulars are in holiday mode or with other R/L issues ie. floods,ice,no power

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby dhester » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:08 am

The lack of posts started before the holidays/"bad weather".

I know people have other calls on their time but this forum seams to be dying. Even magazine staff haven't posted recently.

I am not complaining or having a dig at anybody I just think this forum is under used and the magazine should suggest using more.
dhester

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Certain trolls posting gobbledegook don't exactly help either.....
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:35 pm

dhester wrote:Even magazine staff haven't posted recently.

To be fair, Mike was the only staffer that posted with any regularity.

Maybe the lack of Help posts is a sign of how much more user-friendly desktop Linux has become.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dhester » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am

Perhaps if the staff used the forum it might help with the activity.

I am going to try and get the activity level up by posting helpful hints and answers to problems I have had
dhester

Postby leke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 am

It's small, but it's a nice community. It would be a shame to see it go.

If it ever does, we should create a /r/linuxformat sub-channel on reddit.
leke
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm

dhester wrote:Perhaps if the staff used the forum it might help with the activity.

I am going to try and get the activity level up by posting helpful hints and answers to problems I have had

Your activity isn't prolific, around 15 posts a year to-date. Maybe people are looking at more dedicated forums for answers these days.

There has been a lot of rubbish posted in the last few months, maybe that has put people off posting.

The new management have post their first podcast on Tuxradar and to-date have received one comment, from today, after a week. May people have had other thinks on their minds with the run up to and the holidays etc.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:42 pm

I wonder if it is something to do with the fact that many people these days are far too busy chronicling their lives minute by minute on the pages of Twitter, Facebook, etc. :?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:08 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Certain trolls posting gobbledegook don't exactly help either.....

I couldn't agree more !

It is very annoying to me, from a live-bookmark for the site on Firefox to find yet another long and totally meaningless thread, eg what we call our front rooms, etc etc.

When I visit this site I want to find interesting questions or topics, not the drivel that seems to turn up so much at the moment.

Am I turning into a "grumpy old man"? Or perhaps I've got there already.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

This forum and the Mag have both been valuable tools for me on my Linux learning journey. I rather like the fact that it is a somewhat smaller community than say the Ubuntu forums.

I used to log on several time a day to see what you guys where chatting about. I hold back on posting as my knowledge is nothing compared to the regulars.

I stopped reading the forums, not because of the dribble that gets posted but because there was a few posts that contained foul language and references to being under the influence of illegal substances. My son who is under ten also reads the forum. One day he asked "what does being stoned mean daddy". I was so enraged by the lack of moderation on these posts that I fired off a very angry email to the now ex editor. Who never bothered to reply. I very nearly cancelled my sub as a result. I guess with the recent change of staff he had bigger fish to fry so to speak.
I black listed LXF on my net filter so my son can only read the forum on my PC once I've proof read the posts.

I agree it would be nice if more of the mag staff contributed to our community rather than just taking our money. Perhaps the new team will be more involved. Having said that Neil's participation to the forum is excellent.

Happy new year to all..
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Foul language should't be a problem, the forums software has a filter for naughty words, replacing them with ****, or "(troll) in the case of one phrase. Dubious references are more difficult to deal with, but please feel free to PM moderators if you see a post you feel is inappropriate.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 am

purplepenguin wrote: "what does being stoned mean daddy".
Being drunk as I remember although as it means intoxicated could be several things.
As nelz said PM one of us for anything you deem inappropriate
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 am

towy71 wrote:
purplepenguin wrote: "what does being stoned mean daddy".

Being drunk as I remember

If you remember, you weren't :)

It's one of those phrases that migrated from one meaning to another, so your perception of it is age dependent.
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks for that nelz, kicking an old guy for kicks?? :P :P
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Next

Return to This Website