SteamOS - Linux Attacks Gaming Market

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SteamOS - Linux Attacks Gaming Market

Postby PLan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.

Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.

Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Could this do for gaming platforms what Android did for smartphones? To be fair I haven't been a gamer since my teenage years so am not hugely interested other than the fact that more acceptance of Linux by the public can only be a good thing. :)
PLan

Postby guy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am

"SteamOS will be available soon ... Stay tuned ...."

So for the moment the Steam Cloud remains vapourware. Puns, don'cha love 'em? :shock: Let's hope it condenses soon.

It may have the potential to be the Android of the gaming world, but whether the hardware manufacturers will react the same way remains to be seen. And, since you can still just download a Steam client to your Windows PC, will gamers want to pay extra for a new what is to them yet another console?

What I want to know is whether Steam have hacked the Linux kernel like Google had to, and what UI layer they have built on top of it.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Move over Linus and Stallman, there's a new Top Dog in town!

Brian Hunter

Steam

Postby linuxfanatik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't like the methods used by STEAM. I downloaded one game only from them - DOOM1,2,3. Its hard to say why I don't like how 'Steam' pushes itself onto Linux, M/soft and elsewhere. Its very much like an enraged Bull that's escaped from the Bullring in Spain's Capital. linuxfanatik
Linuxfanatik

Non sibi sed omnibus - Not for oneself but for all
linuxfanatik

Postby Brian Hunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Valve have just announced Steam Machines - http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

It seems like Valve are going to be working with hardware companies to release a range of devices that work with SteamOS AKA Linux. This is a great commitment to Linux, and it looks like exciting times for Linux ahead in 2014.

New Subscriber gift idea - Gaben pillow cases.

Brian Hunter

Postby PLan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:16 am

Valve: First version of SteamOS to be released to the masses on Friday

PC gamers who are champing at the bit to build their very own "Steam Machines" won't have to wait long to start tinkering, as Valve has revealed that its recently announced SteamOS will be available this Friday.

The announcement comes alongside word from Valve that its prototype Steam Machines, along with the companion Steam Controller, will be shipped out to 300 randomly selected US beta testers on Friday. Valve plans to notify the lucky testers via e-mail at 2pm Pacific today, and beta participants will get a special badge on their Steam accounts so journalists and fellow players can start bugging them for their impressions incessantly.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/v ... on-friday/

:)
PLan

Return to Discussion