Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunch of arse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Bunch of arse Reply with quote

Is there any chance your mag assembly lot could please not attach the disc to the front cover with superglue-snot? It might stop this from happening every time...

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's Future's subtle way of telling you to subscribe: the disc folder is loose in the bag, not stuck to the magazine.

Still, given that this is a perennial problem, I'm surprised no genius has come up will a fool-proof solution.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Perhaps it's Future's subtle way of telling you to subscribe: the disc folder is loose in the bag, not stuck to the magazine.

Still, given that this is a perennial problem, I'm surprised no genius has come up will a fool-proof solution.

They have, as you say ' Subscribe '

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

The trouble is that as soon as you come up with a foolproof solution, Nature comes up with a better fool. We thought we had 1sf (troll) handled...
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

Some other Linux mags put the DVD in a paper sleeve bound into the magazine spine like just another page. That would seem to be the ideal answer to me, but perhaps it's more costly to do it that way.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps another is to attach it to the inside cover advert. Then when it rips, we don't give a monkeys....

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Fat_Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo! get it delivered by drone.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
Perhaps another is to attach it to the inside cover advert. Then when it rips, we don't give a monkeys....

What? Over one of those adverts you mean? Can't do that, advertiser would not be happy. Wink
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when are magazines published for the "happiness" of advertisers? Rolling Eyes

(no, don't answer that one Evil or Very Mad )
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
Since when are magazines published for the "happiness" of advertisers? Rolling Eyes

(no, don't answer that one Evil or Very Mad )

Day 1

There you go, answered anyway. Razz
ChrisThornett
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
Rhakios wrote:

Some other Linux mags put the DVD in a paper sleeve bound into the magazine spine like just another page. That would seem to be the ideal answer to me, but perhaps it's more costly to do it that way.

We've tried that in the past and may try it again. I believe the experience was that some people seemed to assume the disc didn't exist because it wasn't on the cover... Yeah, a bit surprising.

Having the disc inside the mag is cheaper to do, I believe.

I'm surprised that the glue is doing that though, as it usually just rolls of on the copies we get in the office. If someone wants to PM me I can send out a replacement copy.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not going to stress over a rip on the cover to the point where I need a new copy.

I'd just like to know if gluing it to the cover in this way can be avoided in future.

I think the glue has changed or is very variable. In the past it has simply peeled off. Recently, however, it seems to be stickier. A few issues back it was so sticky I couldn't get all of it off the disc cover. When stuck to the inside pages, it tends to rip them. The cover is the ideal place to stick the disc, but if that glue must be used, I'd rather it wasn't stuck to anything I'd want to read.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: