Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scribus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Scribus Reply with quote

Hi

I don't like to criticize open source software as I realise how much work goes into creating it. However there have been a lot of reviews extolling the virtues of Scribus and there is no doubt that for what it can do it is very good. However as a Desktop Publishing software it is decidedly lacking particularly when dealing with multipage documents.

I am talking about reports and books which will have almost none or very few pictures. When creating multiple pages why cannot there be an option to add a text box to those pages. When you create 400 or 600 pages it is a real pain to have to create a text box for each page. Also why cannot it be assumed that all the style of all imported text is body text..

Basically i would like the developers to seriously look at how to turn Scribus into a fully fledged desktop publishing software.and not just suitable for posters, newsletters and cards.

Thanks for the opportunity to moan.

grabro
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's horses for courses - LyX/Latex if you want continuous documents (I've just produced one that is over 1,200 pages long) - and Scribus for anything with a lot of colour - newsletters, posters, etc.

Though this report http://www.bradlug.co.uk/stanbury-hill-project/ doesn't say so, the covers were produced in Scribus and the report in LyX/LaTeX - and it really looks stunning.

They are both desktop publishing programs; they just serve different needs.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just create a new master page with a text box and the attributes that you want and apply that to all pages?
Very Happy

Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
towy71

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link.
Much more suitable for editing long documents, scripts etc Wink
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of facilities in scrivener is interesting but limited compared with LyX; it has a couple of facilities that LyX does not have that may be useful to some authors but it lacks a wide range of features which, in my experience as a copy-editor, are widely used by authors.
UsrBinSomething

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Kile, which is the KDE version of Lyx. I currently use XML for writing out longer documents. I'm currently converting a PDF of the US constitution into XML, and will transform it into printable HTML. For beginners I'd try Scrivener though. Lyx and Kile do take a bit of getting used to.
https://twitter.com/LinuxParadise
http://linuxparadise.wordpress.com
https://github.com/paradiseOffice/sandbox_and_programs.git
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UsrBinSomething wrote:
For beginners I'd try Scrivener though. Lyx and Kile do take a bit of getting used to.

Not my experience with LyX; I just started using it when I discovered it in 2000 and it was a real joy. The problems happen when people want to do something they can/have to do in a traditional word-processor and don't realise that either:
1 they don't need to do it or
2 it requires LaTeX knowledge because it is something out of the ordinary.

It look me years before I started using any LaTeX in LyX and I was producing beautiful documents with maths, figures and tables such that I couldn't produce anywhere else.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link.
Much more suitable for editing long documents, scripts etc Wink

Nice. Will take a look.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just a mass of text with a few pictures, why not use LibreOffice Writer?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link

Time limited, includes bundled Qt libraries that clash with system versions - some of the many things that make closed source software such a joy to work with.

I'd rather devote the time I'd spend dealing with such problems to learning something that will still work next year, like LyX.
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't recommending it, but I know several authors that use the Mac version and swear by it rather than at it Wink

I can barely string a sentence together so joe, which uses the same keystrokes as Wordstar, works fine for me Rolling Eyes
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Master pages does not work, mainly because it is for producing a set background arrangement, such as a header, sorry.
The way to create it the way you want, is when creating the document, select "automatic text frames"
This will automatically create a linked text frame for each page. Smile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: