Scribus

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Scribus

Postby baron » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am

Hi

I don't like to criticize open source software as I realise how much work goes into creating it. However there have been a lot of reviews extolling the virtues of Scribus and there is no doubt that for what it can do it is very good. However as a Desktop Publishing software it is decidedly lacking particularly when dealing with multipage documents.

I am talking about reports and books which will have almost none or very few pictures. When creating multiple pages why cannot there be an option to add a text box to those pages. When you create 400 or 600 pages it is a real pain to have to create a text box for each page. Also why cannot it be assumed that all the style of all imported text is body text..

Basically i would like the developers to seriously look at how to turn Scribus into a fully fledged desktop publishing software.and not just suitable for posters, newsletters and cards.

Thanks for the opportunity to moan.

grabro
baron

Postby johnhudson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 pm

It's horses for courses - LyX/Latex if you want continuous documents (I've just produced one that is over 1,200 pages long) - and Scribus for anything with a lot of colour - newsletters, posters, etc.

Though this report http://www.bradlug.co.uk/stanbury-hill-project/ doesn't say so, the covers were produced in Scribus and the report in LyX/LaTeX - and it really looks stunning.

They are both desktop publishing programs; they just serve different needs.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am

Can't you just create a new master page with a text box and the attributes that you want and apply that to all pages?
:D
Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link.
Much more suitable for editing long documents, scripts etc :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby johnhudson » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 pm

The list of facilities in scrivener is interesting but limited compared with LyX; it has a couple of facilities that LyX does not have that may be useful to some authors but it lacks a wide range of features which, in my experience as a copy-editor, are widely used by authors.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby UsrBinSomething » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am

There's also Kile, which is the KDE version of Lyx. I currently use XML for writing out longer documents. I'm currently converting a PDF of the US constitution into XML, and will transform it into printable HTML. For beginners I'd try Scrivener though. Lyx and Kile do take a bit of getting used to.
UsrBinSomething

Postby johnhudson » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 pm

UsrBinSomething wrote:For beginners I'd try Scrivener though. Lyx and Kile do take a bit of getting used to.

Not my experience with LyX; I just started using it when I discovered it in 2000 and it was a real joy. The problems happen when people want to do something they can/have to do in a traditional word-processor and don't realise that either:
1 they don't need to do it or
2 it requires LaTeX knowledge because it is something out of the ordinary.

It look me years before I started using any LaTeX in LyX and I was producing beautiful documents with maths, figures and tables such that I couldn't produce anywhere else.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ChrisThornett » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 am

towy71 wrote:I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link.
Much more suitable for editing long documents, scripts etc :wink:

Nice. Will take a look.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby guy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am

If it's just a mass of text with a few pictures, why not use LibreOffice Writer?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 am

towy71 wrote:I've read that a lot of authors use scrivener for which there is a beta version for Linux in that link

Time limited, includes bundled Qt libraries that clash with system versions - some of the many things that make closed source software such a joy to work with.

I'd rather devote the time I'd spend dealing with such problems to learning something that will still work next year, like LyX.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 pm

I wasn't recommending it, but I know several authors that use the Mac version and swear by it rather than at it :wink:

I can barely string a sentence together so joe, which uses the same keystrokes as Wordstar, works fine for me :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Actually, Master pages does not work, mainly because it is for producing a set background arrangement, such as a header, sorry.
The way to create it the way you want, is when creating the document, select "automatic text frames"
This will automatically create a linked text frame for each page. :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Discussion